Metal Guitarist Forums banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Well... already read him saying that he only demos things he would actually use for real.. but who knows. I see his videos more for the for the Tunes he comes up with :D

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
Well... already read him saying that he only demos things he would actually use for real.. but who knows. I see his videos more for the for the Tunes he comes up with :D
Thats kinda fucked up. Doing demo's SHOULD be sort of a service that tells your peeps what is good and what to avoid. Doing 1 side of the coin makes him the same as all the product shills out there.
He can play, but that style of music is a snooze fest IMO.

·
Banned
835 Posts
If a demos had to be honest, they would have to buy the gear to make the volume of videos necessary for YouTube. Unless you already have a huge following and set up a Patreon to buy gear with (the AvE model), it's not economically feasible.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Thats kinda fucked up. Doing demo's SHOULD be sort of a service that tells your peeps what is good and what to avoid. Doing 1 side of the coin makes him the same as all the product shills out there.
He can play, but that style of music is a snooze fest IMO.
Yeah if you have nothing to loose doing it, also since you arent paying anything to watch his demos its not really a service even though he is getting payed to demo them.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
The bigger problem I have with him is he makes EVERYTHING sound awesome, because he's just that good. :lol:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Right? The dude has a wall of boutique everything. I'm sure he totally did this demo because he likes the product, and not because you can just pay him to review your stuff:

https://www.peterthorn.com/gear-demo-info

:lol:
So basically Fluff with more money changing hands?

EDIT: BTW, these two things are very different than what Ola does IMO (and that's not a distinction I created just because I like Ola).

Ola's videos are usually just a demo recording and maybe some knob twisting. You make the decision on your own.

Pete and Fluff demo gear, then there's usually an explicit sales-pitchy section with a long list of positive sounding adjectives. You don't get an actual 1 to 10 review (or even an implied 10/10 because I'm getting paid!), you get a "demo" with a talk session that implies they endorse the piece. Dishonest might be too strong a word, but I don't think they're genuine. :2c:

·
The Devil's Advocate
238 Posts
I found one used on Guitar Center's site for $170 and bought it a few months ago. I didn't actually know who Misha Mansoor was until after I saw Ola's video on it (months late to that party), so I guess my opinion wasn't colored by the Periphery hype train, and I just took it on face value as a good OD pedal with a built-in noise gate. I was in the market for both those things (my ancient NS-2 finally died), and probably would have ended up with a Green Rhino + an ISP Decimator otherwise, so this thing would have saved me money even if I paid full price (which I definitely would have done).

I like it. It's a damn good OD, the gate works very well, and if you can manage to not give a shit about what name is connected to it and actually judge it on its merits as a piece of gear, then I don't think you can go wrong here. :yesway:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Re: the Pete Thorn thing, I wonder if he's talked to anyone about FTC influencer standards. They're getting pretty aggressive about Youtubers, Instagram influencers, etc. requiring disclosures, and I think people would appreciate him being a bit more up-front about getting paid for reviews/reviewing things where he received the gear for free/relationships with companies on the actual reviews themselves . . .

·
Perfect Djentelman
874 Posts
I found one used on Guitar Center's site for $170 and bought it a few months ago. I didn't actually know who Misha Mansoor was until after I saw Ola's video on it (months late to that party), so I guess my opinion wasn't colored by the Periphery hype train, and I just took it on face value as a good OD pedal with a built-in noise gate. I was in the market for both those things (my ancient NS-2 finally died), and probably would have ended up with a Green Rhino + an ISP Decimator otherwise, so this thing would have saved me money even if I paid full price (which I definitely would have done).

I like it. It's a damn good OD, the gate works very well, and if you can manage to not give a shit about what name is connected to it and actually judge it on its merits as a piece of gear, then I don't think you can go wrong here. :yesway:
Man that makes me so happy to hear! I really do think we designed a great and super useful pedal, so reviews like this put a smile on my face!

·
Perfect Djentelman
874 Posts
Re: the Pete Thorn thing, I wonder if he's talked to anyone about FTC influencer standards. They're getting pretty aggressive about Youtubers, Instagram influencers, etc. requiring disclosures, and I think people would appreciate him being a bit more up-front about getting paid for reviews/reviewing things where he received the gear for free/relationships with companies on the actual reviews themselves . . .
Just FYI with Pete Thorn we hired him only to do a demo of the pedal and its features, since he could do it in a context that we hadn't explored yet. We didn't ask him for a review or anything like that and honestly didn't expect him to be as kind to it as he was, that was a very pleasant surprise for us.

·
The Devil's Advocate
238 Posts
Man that makes me so happy to hear! I really do think we designed a great and super useful pedal, so reviews like this put a smile on my face!
Looking forward to seeing what you gents come up with next for the company.

And just curious, since we have you here, do you know (if you're at liberty to say) if the gate built into the Precision Drive is at all related to the MXR Noise Clamp? Seems like it works very similarly, and the pedal is built by MXR afterall. I think a lot of people assume a built-in gate like this wouldn't be very good, so that little bit of info could lend the pedal some credibility.

·
Perfect Djentelman
874 Posts
Looking forward to seeing what you gents come up with next for the company.

And just curious, since we have you here, do you know (if you're at liberty to say) if the gate built into the Precision Drive is at all related to the MXR Noise Clamp? Seems like it works very similarly, and the pedal is built by MXR afterall. I think a lot of people assume a built-in gate like this wouldn't be very good, so that little bit of info could lend the pedal some credibility.
It is actually! We tweaked it to respond the way that I thought would be appropriate for the pedal and target audience but it was based off the noise clamp circuit!

·
i am the owl
2,700 Posts
Had mine since day 1, it is super versatile. In my more "modern metal" band I click the attack knob up to the ~1:00 position for a nice tight tone. In my other band (punk/rock/metal) i keep it down around 10:00 for a more open and hairy tone. Pretty sweet.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Right? The dude has a wall of boutique everything. I'm sure he totally did this demo because he likes the product, and not because you can just pay him to review your stuff:

https://www.peterthorn.com/gear-demo-info

:lol:
Have you actually ever seen him demo a bad piece of gear though? G Systems and Novas, Friedman amps and pedals, Suhr guitars, Suhr amps, etc. A lot of modern gear is really good, and I'm not seeing him demo a DOD or something talking about how awesome it is. Eveything he demos is gold, Jerry, gold!! :lol:

·
Registered
Epiphone Les Paul Muse/Boss Katana 50, Gretsch Electromatic bass/Behringer BXL3000
5 Posts
Is Precision Drive all analog?

61 - 78 of 78 Posts