Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I'm no hippy but the assembly line of horseshoe crabs being bled out is, um, unsettling on a visceral level.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm no hippy but the assembly line of horseshoe crabs being bled out is, um, unsettling on a visceral level.
"Each year, the medical industry catches around 600,000 horseshoe crabs. The crabs are drained of 30% of their blood and up to 30% of the crabs don't live through the process. The survivors are returned to the water, but no one really knows how well or if they recover."

From the article. It's pretty barbaric, but the process is probably more humane than the process involved in buying chicken or beef from a grocery store.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Oh yeah, you take the good with the bad. If it's a trade off, I'd imagine most people would say the gains in medicine vastly outweigh any injury to the crabs and I'd assume most people would say draining blood from a crab (with ANY chance it survives) is more humane than injecting shit into rabbits (mammals) and waiting for whatever awful illness comes over them.

Nonetheless, the image itself has kind of a "The Matrix", "humans in a fleshy cocoon being used as a battery" kinda vibe to it.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Given that standard harvesting practices require killing the subject, this is pretty humane. Part of that is, if I'm not mistaken, the utter inability to raise Horseshoe Crabs (which aren't even really crabs, they're way older than that) in captivity.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
The harvesting of the crabs also affects some migrating birds (including the rapidly declining Red Knot) along the east coast as well; it's a fairly delicate balance that needs to be kept all in all.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh good, a BusinessInsider link. :lol:
$1 is a pittance for the knowledge in this article. Do you know how much Horseshoe Crab Blood $1 buys?

You can't even buy an ounce of horseshoe crab blood for a dollar. If you go to a Horseshoe Crab Blood Merchant and ask, "What can I get for a dollar?" they will just laugh at you.

If you followed this article's advice you could subscribe to Business Insider 60,000 times over. Put in a few hard hours wrangling up some Horseshoe Crabs and fuck, you could probably buy Business Insider.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BRB, buying a boat and a net.
You should probably wait til night, do it under cover of darkness.

I want to cautiously say it seems like there might be several extremely minor intermediary steps between "Crab blood" and "$60k" the article didn't mention, and you don't want to get pulled over by a cop with a bunch of live horseshoe crabs in your trunk.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I mean, to be fair, a horseshoe crab can't have THAT much blood. I'm not surprised it's expensive.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Who needs this blood?

Why do we need to trap dino aged seafood?

No I didn't read the article. :lol:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Who needs this blood?

Why do we need to trap dino aged seafood?

No I didn't read the article. :lol:
It's used as a way to detect endotoxins from gram-negative bacteria in products (pharmaceuticals, medical equipment) that are in direct contact with the blood system or spinal fluid. Getting endotoxins in your blood can lead to sepsis which isn't exactly healthy.

However, the specific enzyme of interest in the horsehoe crab (Limulus clotting factor C) can be produced biotechnologically through recombinant DNA technology and there's been an assay based on that for 15 years. So, hopefully this is on it's way out.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/05/blood-in-the-water/559229/

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
It's used as a way to detect endotoxins from gram-negative bacteria in products (pharmaceuticals, medical equipment) that are in direct contact with the blood system or spinal fluid. Getting endotoxins in your blood can lead to sepsis which isn't exactly healthy.

However, the specific enzyme of interest in the horsehoe crab (Limulus clotting factor C) can be produced biotechnologically through recombinant DNA technology and there's been an assay based on that for 15 years. So, hopefully this is on it's way out.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/05/blood-in-the-water/559229/
Markus with the knowledge drop :yesway: thank you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts