Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new custom pickup coming and the other one I have I wanna try in the neck.
The old one I'm thinking of trying in the neck is VERY similar (almost identical) to a Seymour Duncan Distortion...

Will it cause too much string pull? Or will it sound good even if lowered way down from the strings?

Would be cool to see if somebody knows before I spend hours into this shit:ugh:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I've run bridge pickups in the neck before. The only thing you'll need to worry about is the output level. Generally, because the string has a smaller amplitude of vibration at the bridge, the bridge pickup is wound to have more output, and the neck, where the amplitude is higher, weaker.

I'd say, if your neck is maybe ~75% the DC Ohm and the same or smaller magnet type of the bridge, you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I don't know if I'd say it's common, but it isn't uncommon. I know the JB is very popular in the neck with a lot of people, and other pickups don't even differentiate between bridge and neck models (like a lot of PAF style pickups).

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know nothing about DC or ohms or stuff like that, I only play guitars :idea:

My alternative is a cheap pickup I have lying in a box which is meant for the neck position.

So... A really good bridge pup in the neck, or a cheap Jackson one?

I know it's hard for somebody else to judge this but as said... I don't wanna spend hours trying out both (since the guitar is a Strat with a Floyd re-stringing and removing pickguard and shit takes more time than funny)

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I know it's hard for somebody else to judge this but as said... I don't wanna spend hours trying out both (since the guitar is a Strat with a Floyd re-stringing and removing pickguard and shit takes more time than funny)
Try this - With the gruitar still tuned to pitch and the nut still locked, pop out the springs in the back holding the trem at tension. Then, with no countertension on the bridge and the strings just hanging slack, you should be able to pop the trem out of the trem cavity alltogether. To reinstall, just reverse - seat the trem back in the cavity on the studs, and using needle nosed pliers, pull the springs tight and pop them back into the trem block. When finished, the guitar should still be in tune or very close to, and it only takes a minute or two to pop it out and put it back in.

A hot bridge pickup in the neck will be VERY hot, but if that's what you're after...

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Try this - With the gruitar still tuned to pitch and the nut still locked, pop out the springs in the back holding the trem at tension. Then, with no countertension on the bridge and the strings just hanging slack, you should be able to pop the trem out of the trem cavity alltogether. To reinstall, just reverse - seat the trem back in the cavity on the studs, and using needle nosed pliers, pull the springs tight and pop them back into the trem block. When finished, the guitar should still be in tune or very close to, and it only takes a minute or two to pop it out and put it back in.
Glad I'm not alone in doing that. :highfive:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Glad I'm not alone in doing that. :highfive:
Not even close, dude - it's a pretty common tech trick for working on Floyds. :yesway:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I generally find that hotter bridge pickups are voiced in a clonky midrangey way that doesn't translate well to the neck position. But, I've only tried this with the JB, the Full Shred, and a Dimarzio D Sonic 7. So, that's a very small number of pickups out there :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Not even close, dude - it's a pretty common tech trick for working on Floyds. :yesway:
Is there a good trick for getting the bridge out past the studs? I always find that I end up wrestling the thing for a long period of time before I can get it past :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Is there a good trick for getting the bridge out past the studs? I always find that I end up wrestling the thing for a long period of time before I can get it past :lol:
Seems to vary guitar by guitar. On the ones that ARE a little tight, I've generally gotten it off (heh) by "rotating" it on one of the studs - pulling back on one side only, and using the contact point on the other side for a bit of leverage to get the trem up and over the first stud. The second then gets really easy.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I know nothing about DC or ohms or stuff like that, I only play guitars :idea:
Basically, "DC Ohms" means measuring the resistance (unit of Ohms) of the wire that makes up the pickup coil. If you have a multimeter (sounds like you might not :)) flip the dial to Ohms and put a lead on the "hot" wire, and the other on the other.

So... A really good bridge pup in the neck, or a cheap Jackson one?
From what I hear, cheap Jackson pickups are bottom-of-the-barrel :lol:. You'll be better off with a super-hot neck than a turdy Jackson.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

A hot bridge pickup in the neck will be VERY hot, but if that's what you're after...
Hmmm... Good idea. Might try it! This guitar has a tremol-no tho...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts