Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a guitar on reverb that I'm pretty into, a 1984 NJ series Warlock. From what I've read, the NJs got better as time went on, and this is an early one. I know the Kahler is a Flyer and not a standard but I don't really think there's a huge difference, and I would have preferred black paint and hardware to red and chrome. Additionally, the headstock is also the one i'd been looking for, the reverse curved inline. Hardware can be changed, but the body + bridge + headstock combo is everything i'd ever looked for in a BC Rich.

However, I own a lot of guitars already, and feel like i'd be buying this because I really like the way it looks, not because it's going to be some super-great guitar. Therefore, I feel like i'd have to actually sell something else to justify buying another guitar to myself. It wouldn't cost me anything out of pocket, though, I can use proceeds from sales of other gear

Unless, of course, the NJs are known for being pretty sweet axes at which point it becomes easy to justify buying it.

So, what are your experiences, if any?

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
My first guitar was a NJ Series Warlock. I'm not sure of the year it was made, my uncle gave it to me in 1995. Someone had dropped it off for him to set-up and never came back to get it, he had it sitting in the corner for a couple years and decided to give it to me. It was fucking Cadillac pink, but I loved that thing. From what I remember, it stayed in tune and felt pretty tough. Really wish I still had the thing but I traded it for this shitty Rolls pedal after I got my Strat and wanted the pedal more than the Rich.

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
I think I have that Kahler on my Aria Pro II. I like it. Easier to deal with than a Floyd and I think stays in tune better than my Ibby Floyds.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Not the same era but I had a reverse headstock BCR Warlock NJ that was fantastic. Surprisingly well balanced and 'snappy' sounding acoustically. I'd probably still own it but a random guy saw my NGD on here and offered me double what I paid.

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I have that Kahler on my Aria Pro II. I like it. Easier to deal with than a Floyd and I think stays in tune better than my Ibby Floyds.

Kahlers are a mixed bag for me. I do like them, and even have one on a bass! The flyer is a cheap Kahler; the baseplate is slightly different (Screw holes don't line up) and the saddles have springs rather than being screwed down -- they were offered by Kahler to manufacturers only and were never sold directly to the public. I think they're every bit as good (or bad) as the pro series, just I'd much rather have the hardware be black.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
First time I played for a crowd was with one of these I barrowed from another guitar player, I was surprised how good it was. Dont get too caught up in what years are best nonsense, for 350 its almost impossible for it not to be worth the cash.

·
Likes Kahlers
232 Posts
My 85 NJ st plays better than my all of my other guitars. It blows my RG 550 out of the water. The electronics are junk though.

·
Likes Kahlers
232 Posts
The only thing that sucks about that one is the Kahler Flyer. I've read that you can replace the *** and saddles on those with the ones from a Kahler Pro, which would be a big upgrade.
The pro would only require the re drilling of the front two holes and will cover the old flyer holes. Did that with mine, by hand, with no pilot holes. My wrists still hate me.

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you don't actually have to replace the baseplate to swap those parts. I don't know if the flyer *** is any different from the pro ***, but the saddles definitely are the same. I have swapped the saddles on a flyer to the pro saddles with no issues before, and the *** seems to be the same on both models. I'm not really sure what the justification was for having different baseplates on the different models except to make them different.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I love my 84 warlock nj. It's a kahler bolt on version (black/chrome). It's very comfortable to play, I think that the body is slightly slimmer than a 90's+ warlock (smaller than the platinum warlock version).

My favorite thing about these guitars is the 24.75" scale length on the neck. I kept the original hardware and electronics. Love the dimarzio's. It has a snappy attack, not boomy like a mahogany through body.

I've had mine setup in a range of tunings, from Exhumed style drop tuning to standard. The kahler bridge is much more adjustable than a floyd, but I still prefer a floyd. The kahler needs a little extra attention to detail to get a good setup and tuning stability (maintaining the bridge, tinning string ends, prebending strings, stretching strings, etc). I haven't needed to adjust the truss rod.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.