Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Ibanez RG Premium RG921QMF guitar that comes with the Tight End R fixed bridge. I see there is another version of the same guitar that would come with a tremolo Edge Zero II bridge. I'm thinking if it isn't too big a deal, I might swap bridges. I see a couple Edge Zero II bridges for about $100. If it is a direct swap and doesn't require cutting or too much drilling, I might make the change. Is it something I can do, having never worked on a guitar before or should I bring it to someone?

Thank you,
Z

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
That would be a pain in the arse dude :lol:
Besides, if you were going to do that, you'd get the proper Edge Zero.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugh, I was hoping you would say sure they both use the same hole and posts are in the same spots since it is the same model guitar just one is a fixed bridge and one is a tremolo bridge. Pain in the arse sounds like I might be better off buying a used beater guitar if I want to play around with a tremolo. bummer

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
You'd need to route an entire back spring cavity, for one thing :lol:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Yup. Going from a fixed bridge to a fully floating fulcrum trem is probably the most invasive mod you can do – short of putting in a B-bender or Evertune bridge.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Pick up a used 7620.
:agreed: Definitely. Especially being based in the US, it will just be easier to find a used RG7620 or RG1527 and grab that instead. If you can find one in players condition it won't set you back too much either. Then you can have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Changing a set bridge to floyd style is like turning a car into a boat. Possible, but by the time you spend the time and money you'd be a fool for having done it instead of just buying one that's already been done.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Really :lol:
Pick up a used 7620.
I took a look on Craigslist and found a 25th anniversary Ibanez, when I called the guy he said it lasted 15 minutes before it was sold. He said he has a couple guitars that were built for metal. He is a Luthier and said the parts are all original except the neck which he built himself. He said I could have my choice of guitars for $500 but the white one is in better shape. What do you guys think? From an appearance standpoint, I'm not crazy about the gold accents but both guitars seem like a great deal for the price.

:agreed: Definitely. Especially being based in the US, it will just be easier to find a used RG7620 or RG1527 and grab that instead. If you can find one in players condition it won't set you back too much either. Then you can have the best of both worlds.
Or this one, which has two seymour duncan invaders and a seymour duncan hot rails in the middle. I was looking at a Jackson SLATXMGQ3-6, but he is making it very difficult to pass up the deal.

·
Big Brother
587 Posts
Are those real or knock-off Ibanez bodies? Make sure they play okay. If you haven't used a trem before you should also ask him to briefly explain how to change strings and set intonation, etc.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He said he built them with all original parts, except the neck which he made himself

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
I'd steer well clear. $500 doesn't cover the cost of buying legit parts for that (and there's nowhere you can buy legit Ibanez bodies from, so it's coming from either a parted out guitar (you'd have to buy a much cheaper Ibanez and mod it to make it profitable), a Chibanez (they look like that), or an independent builder), let alone the building of a neck. A well-made neck on its own would probably set you back around $500. And it's not an Ibanez trem. Corners are being cut somewhere.

For $500, you can easily score a decent and legit Ibanez or Jackson that will make likely make those things seem like a plastic guitar. I'd get back on CL or eBay.

·
I measure things
1,917 Posts
Not original parts, the trems are not edge or lo pro edges for a start. Looks like borderline chibanez to me.
Like 7 Dying Trees said - not original. The white one is definitely a Chibanez - a few giveaways:

1. That is not an Ibanez bridge - look @ how the trem arm goes into the body of the trem - not Ibanez. Also look @ the fine tuners - they shouldn't be gold. These are the typical ones you see on Chibanez's. Plus the trem arm should be black, not gold.

2. Middle pickup should have more of a silver/gray color to the pole pieces. All the fakes I've seen have gold pole pieces, just like this one.

3. The horns aren't shaped correctly.

4. The pickguard isn't cut correctly.

5. The monkey grip looks a bit large.

There's probably other things but that's what I saw with a quick glance. I know the volume and tone knobs are different but those are easily changed - maybe the guy liked these better than the originals. But there is NO WAY that this was an original Ibanez OR original Ibanez parts and he built the neck. That sounds like complete B.S. to me. This looks like a textbook fake, from what I've seen regarding fake JEM's on Jemsite. So steer clear.

The black guitar - that looks pretty bad too. Not an Ibanez trem, who knows what else is "fake" about it.

If you were thinking about getting a Jackson SLAT-whatever, get that. At least you'll know it's genuine. These pictures you posted - these guitars are not a good deal at any price.

Edit: Whoops - have to give credit to Cassidy for catching some of the fake items on this, too. Both you guys beat me to the punch.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm really glad I asked you guys. Thank you very much for the responses. It seemed too good to be true so I figured I'd ask.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
That white "JEM" is chibanez. For that reason alone I'd never give this guy money.

The trem on the black one is total junk.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Those definitely scream "Chibanez". Avoid. All original parts? Riiiight. :rolleyes: he's hoping to sell to a sucker who doesn't know any better.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Those definitely scream "Chibanez". Avoid. All original parts? Riiiight. :rolleyes: he's hoping to sell to a sucker who doesn't know any better.
:hesright:

Yeah, fuck that guy. (the Chibanez dude, not Darren. Darren's good people.)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts