Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just switched the EMG 808's out for a set of Seymour Duncan Blackouts in my Schecter C8 Hellraiser because I have always played passive pickups in the past and while I like how crazy actives can sound, the EMG's were just to nasty. Anyway, they recommend putting the Blackouts 1/16-1/8 of an inch away from the strings. When I tried that, they sounded hyper compressed and had very little if any definition. I backed them off a lot more and they sounded a lot more natural and the the compression and dynamics were a lot better as well. I'm curious what you guys do with your Blackouts?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I've always read that Blackouts were designed to be set at a "normal" distance from the strings, rather than the close distance EMGs require. But I don't know from experience.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Definitely back them off the strings a bit. A few years back, Frank Falbo set up an Ibanez 8127F for me with the Phase-1 Blackouts. First thing I noticed was that he didn't have them shoved right up underneath the strings. So if that's how guys from SD are setting them up. I guess that's how they're supposed to be set up. :lol:

Off the top of my head I don't remember the exact heights. But I'm guessing it was about 1.5mm-treble / 2.0mm-bass with string fretted @ highest fret.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I have them the exact same distance away from the strings as the DiMarzio Blaze Customs that were in the guitar before I put the Blackouts in.

So... not too close to the strings...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your answers guys. I definitely agree with all of you. A normal distance that you would place passives is definitely the best. They sound so much more organic than 808's like that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts