Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a luthier here in the UK called Crimson Guitars, and they put a status up on their Facebook today that intrigued me somewhat.

https://www.facebook.com/CrimsonCus...1411395757./10152810183654758/?type=3&theater

After repairing a Washburn Dimebag model that had a cracked inlay they noticed that the 'ebony' (as stated in the specs of that particular model) was actually dyed rosewood.

How can companies get away with this, and how many of them are doing it?! I'm sure it's only on low-end import models, but still... that's shitty :noway:

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
More common than you'd think unfortunately. Hell, unless you strip back the finish on your guitar in various places and check the fuels tructure of the wood, how do you REALLY know what wood they used?

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More common than you'd think unfortunately. Hell, unless you strip back the finish on your guitar in various places and check the fuels tructure of the wood, how do you REALLY know what wood they used?
Yeah I've thought about that one many times in the past, especially with the ambiguous umbrella term that is 'mahogany'.

But a fretboard wood is on an entirely new level of shitty, since it's not even remotely disguised under paint or anything.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Yeah but unless you either scratch or sand it, you can't see under the dye that they use on almost every piece of fret wood these days due to the shitty quality of the wood available.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
After repairing a Washburn Dimebag model that had a cracked inlay they noticed that the 'ebony' (as stated in the specs of that particular model) was actually dyed rosewood.
We're talking about a small upstart luthier taking shots at a pro company - they obviously have something to gain here.

The grain pattern on this board is nowhere CLOSE to ebony - visually, if you gave me a black and white version of that photo with no commentary I'd have said you had a rosewood board. That seems like a pretty obvious misstep to make if you're claiming the board is rosewood - is there any way to tell for sure that the guitar in question SHOULD have had an ebony board, and that it wasn't sold with a rosewood board that had either been dyed at the factory (but still sold as rosewood) or by a subsequent owners? I don't know my Dime sigs well enough to ID that just based on a small chunk of fretboard, but that seems like the sort of forgery that wouldn't have fooled anyone, even before the glue got scraped back.

In other words - are we sure this Crimson Guitars company isn't just concocting a scandal to make themselves look more credible?

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In other words - are we sure this Crimson Guitars company isn't just concocting a scandal to make themselves look more credible?
I guess I figured in an age where most info is just a Google search away, I trust the luthier isn't ballsy enough to lie and hope that nobody goes and checks out the facts. However, I just did exactly that, so it worked :smoking:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I guess I figured in an age where most info is just a Google search away, I trust the luthier isn't ballsy enough to lie and hope that nobody goes and checks out the facts. However, I just did exactly that, so it worked :smoking:
Ok, I did a bit of googling myself. I'm by NO means an expert on Washburn Dime signature models, but if this is a reasonably complete spec list:

Dimebag Darrel Signature

...every single one of them is spec'd with a rosewood fretboard. Can someone confirm that this is really the case? If so, then this luthier is either mistaken about what he's working on, or lying through his teeth.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Maybe someone bought it second-hand from someone who dyed the board, and then not knowing the difference, sold it on to someone saying it was an ebony board.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Did a search for Washburn Dime guitars, but I couldn't find a match for a white Dime with lightning graphics. The D3 had an ebony board, but the pictures of that I saw were all flamed maple tops with inlaid lightning bolts, not a airbrushed lightning bolt.

The model most close to that I could find was the iconic blue/lightning bold finish, which the spec sheet clains has a rosewood board.

Darren - as a luthier yourself, would you post this with a reference to the Washburn specs just based on what your customer told you, without confirming it on your own?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Ok, I did a bit of googling myself. I'm by NO means an expert on Washburn Dime signature models, but if this is a reasonably complete spec list:

Dimebag Darrel Signature

...every single one of them is spec'd with a rosewood fretboard. Can someone confirm that this is really the case? If so, then this luthier is either mistaken about what he's working on, or lying through his teeth.
The image on the FB page has a neck that's got 7 ply binding, none of the listing I can see for the Dime models mention anything about 7 ply binding. Find the model with that and you got you answer I suppose. Wouldn't surprise me if there was one model with ebony boards, especially if it's a bound one like that a la Les Paul Customs.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
The image on the FB page has a neck that's got 7 ply binding, none of the listing I can see for the Dime models mention anything about 7 ply binding. Find the model with that and you got you answer I suppose. Wouldn't surprise me if there was one model with ebony boards, especially if it's a bound one like that a la Les Paul Customs.
There are full pictures before and after that in the album:

https://www.facebook.com/CrimsonCus...1395757./10152810256129758/?type=3&permPage=1

I figured the binding would be pretty distinctive too, but as it turns out it's REALLY hard to tell from the typically-sized guitar picture. :lol:

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Mystery solved. It's a Washburn Dime 333 in a special colour made for Funky Monkey music. They made 3 different colours of them and only did 50 of each. However what's clearly specified is they are a rosewood fretboard, not ebony.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Mystery solved. It's a Washburn Dime 333 in a special colour made for Funky Monkey music. They made 3 different colours of them and only did 50 of each. However what's clearly specified is they are a rosewood fretboard, not ebony.
Solid research, sir. :metal:

Is there an official spec sheet on the net somewhere? Does anyone here follow that guy on facebook? I kind of don't want to call a perfect stranger out on a mistake on their business page, but...

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
The grain, not the color gives it away. Just about every ebony boarded guitar or bass i've owned was easy to tell because of the tight ebony grain. Even if if it wasn't black ebony, but streaked or whatever.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
To clarify further- the white lightning had a rosewood board, the black lightning a maple board and the slime came with a naked ebony board, no markers.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
LOL

The entire belief that rosewood is an inferior fretboard wood is fucking BS. Now that even the cheapest and shittiest imports have ebony (and maple I guess), it's especially funny. Ebony used to be a premium feature. I enjoy how a good piece of Ebony looks and feels, and it will always be a classy appointment.

But Rosewood is by far the best sounding fretboard wood. A nice piece of Rosewood (not the cheap shit) is amazing too. I love the dark chocolate looking cuts myself. Les Pauls with rosewood sound better than Les Pauls with ebony. Ebony has a really glassy attack and snap that is awesome, but now that I am older and no longer concerned that my guitar is mistaken for something a plebian would use I've come around to being a big fan of the warmth of Rosewood.

TL;DR: Fretboard wood doesn't really matter unless it's cheap shit. Any of the common three choices sound awesome. If you are disappointed in a guitar for something as superficial as fretboard wood type (not quality), go fuck yourself.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Agreed 100%...
I prefer ebony board Jacksons, though.
Same, but for entirely aesthetic/feel reasons.

I like Student Soloists though, and one of the "never comes up for sale" early 90s USA Exotic Dinkys with Pau Ferro has been on my wishlist forever.

I used to have a Student Soloist that had the nicest rosewood I have ever seen. Dark and moist like German Chocolate cake. If the finish wasn't so fucking thick and I had the patience to get it redone I would have kept it.

My Mockingbird has a really nice Rosewood board too. I don't think "Man, this is a nice guitar, but I wish it were ebony so I would have the psychological validation of playing something fancy". I wouldn't even like it as much with Ebony.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I just keep thinking that the name for this thread should be "How much ebony is too much ebony?"

I'm pretty sure all of my guitars have dark, dark rosewood fretboards. Not as dark as ebony, but pretty dark. I love how ebony looks, but it has its disadvantages (such as being softer than a lot of woods and having a tendency to crack and expand in nasty ways).

Like Drew, I'm honestly just a tad suspicious about the claim...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts