Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My brother has a 17" MacBook Pro that he bought in 2006 I believe. (Based on the MBP wiki timeline)

I'm not sure if its an early, or late 2006 model, but again, it's a 17", 2 GB of RAM, and 2.16GHz running Tiger with a 100GB HD. That's what I know off the bat.

Problem is, he damaged the screen last week. It still works fine, but there are streaks across one section of the screen from top to bottom. It's not blacked out or anything, so you can still use it fine.

He got a quote from the Apple store for repair, and he was quoted something pretty high. $600-$900 range I think it was. So he's opting to just buy a new one.

I'm not a Mac guy. I prefer my PC's, but I had been planning to buy a Mac Mini just so that I have a Mac of some sort, so that I know the OS and have experience with the brand.

I'd likely get a replacement screen and try to fix it myself eventually, or pay someone to do it for me which would cost a few hundred bucks, but my initial plan is to integrate it into my desktop setup I plan on building in the next couple of months, and just have a monitor dedicated to the MBP. (Instead of doing the same with a Mini)

I don't really want to factor in the broken screen into the cost since he's my brother. I'm not going to try and rook him out of a few hundred over that. So I guess you can ignore the whole broken screen part of this post :lol:, unless you want to give an opinion on how to fix it, or how much it'd cost.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
last time i looked those were about $5-600 and IIRC those are some of the first intel based mac so you can upgrade to snow leopard and 4GB of ram

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
repair is gonna be pricey. If its an intel, 5 or 6 maybe, although that could be a bit high
if its a PPC, maybe 4ish?

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's Intel.

It's not going to be used for anything extensive. I've got my superior Windows machines for that. :D

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
I'd avoid and buy a mini like you were planning to instead.

Finding a new screen and ripping apart those MBP's are NOT worth the time and hassle.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
I'd avoid and buy a mini like you were planning to instead.

Finding a new screen and ripping apart those MBP's are NOT worth the time and hassle.
Yeah, exactly. Especially if it's four years old, Intel or not, it'll be a hassle to upgrade it to more recent OS's and just isn't worth the cash/hassle/time/stress.

if you want a cheapo, look at Apple refurb stuff - some of it is essentially brand new, opened, and much cheaper.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
250-300 tops I'd say. If you're planning on using it headless, it's still a nice platform, albeit a bit old. It'd make a perfecto HTPC. :yesway:

Keep in mind though that you can get a not-broken older Intel Mini for about the same loot.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The whole point of me buying it over a Mini, is to maybe save a few bucks, and to offset some of the costs of what my brother will pay for a new one. So i'll still buy the mini so long as apple agrees to lower the cost of my brothers new MBP in return. ;)

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
I'd get a mini instead. Is the screen cracked? If not, then it sounds like a pinched LVDS cable, which basically means you'd be paying too much for to have a small cable replaced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts