Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning out my external and came across these pictures from a winter or two ago. It's been on my mind again so I thought I'd post it.

My buddy and I were reading about smoking, and that led us to something called pit BBQing. Basically, you bbq meat in a pit :lol: So we got ourselves a beef roast and tried it.

First, we dug a hole:

Next, we started a fire and let it burn down to basically embers:

(I don't have a picture of it, but at some point we threw some big rocks in there and let them heat up, too.)

Enter the roast (seasoned with salt and pepper):

Then we wrapped it in tin foil:

Then you take burlap and chicken wire:

Soak the burlap in water, and wrap it around the tinfoil'd roast:

Then we wrapped it in the chicken wire to hold it all together, and impaled it with a meat thermometer:

Then we took it outside and cast it into the pit, and kinda buried it in the embers:

More soaked burlap on top for good measure:

Then you bury it, leaving the meat thermometer exposed:

It actually cooked a lot faster than we were expecting. One of the articles we read said plan to wait 4-5 hours, and ours cooked in about an hour and a half.

Exhume the roast (it mostly smelled like dirt :lol:):

I wasn't sure how great it looked:

But it came out a pretty nice medium/medium-rare:

Then we cut it up and made sandwiches:

All in all, it was a bit of a process, but a lot easier than I was expecting. I don't have a smoker, and whenever I've tried smoking on my propane bbq I've found it really hard to keep the temperature low, and the meat always ended up dry and tough. This cooked way faster than we expected but still came out really juicy, and actually tasted great. Doing it again, I'd season it more, because in the ground you're basically steaming it and it doesn't pick up as much flavour as on a grill, so it mostly just tasted like beef :lol:

·
Jigsaw?
3,913 Posts
Hell yes, I've been meaning to try this. When I was smoking on a gas grill a bigger model with four burners worked best. Meat on one end, low burner on other, chip box near burner. Little aluminum foil down the back if you have a big vent by the cover hinge. It wasn't perfect but doable. If you can keep temp manageable wrap in foil after 1.5 to 2 hours. Two probe Taylor thermo that does pit temp is also helpful.

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hell yes, I've been meaning to try this. When I was smoking on a gas grill a bigger model with four burners worked best. Meat on one end, low burner on other, chip box near burner. Little aluminum foil down the back if you have a big vent by the cover hinge. It wasn't perfect but doable. If you can keep temp manageable wrap in foil after 1.5 to 2 hours. Two probe Taylor thermo that does pit temp is also helpful.
Thanks man :yesway: once I work up the balls I'll give it another shot. Last time I tried was Canada Day, and I pretty much turned a brisket into jerky :lol:

On a semi-related note, I just grilled a pizza on the bbq and it's unreal.

·
Jigsaw?
3,913 Posts
Yep, grill pizza is awesome. Pick an easier cut than brisket. Something like chuckies will work better and take to foiling well.

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The question is, now that you've eaten your meat - did you have some pudding?
Fuck off!

Am I doing it right? :lol:

edit: Another thing I found out - grilled oranges are awesome :yesway: I put some on a cedar plank with fish the other day, had too many slices so I moved some on the grill, and they turned out great. They had some paprika and rosemary on them.

I've grilled a lot this week :lol:

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
You should try building your own DIY smoker using some terracotta pots, a hot plate and a grate which with some tinkering you can get working pretty decently. Decent starter smokers are actually pretty cheap (under $100) and if you grill fairly often you will get some use out of it. I haven't smoked anything huge yet but for most roasts around 5 pounds my Brinkmann Gourmet Smoker and Grill works pretty decent, albeit the fact I wish the grill thermometer actually read in degrees rather than Ideal - Too Hot haha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts