Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weekends ago, my three-year-old son Ian kept bothering me while I was trying to work on a track for my next long-delayed Council of One project, so I took a time-out and had him record some keyboard stuff (piano and bass), to which I added a guitar solo.

Bask in the avant garde weirdness of our father-son musical bonding:

Specs:

--Reaper
--2011 Gibson 50th Anniversary SG
--AFX2: Friedman HBE with some kind of fucked-up flanger thing going on
--Native Instruments Kontakt [New York Grand Piano/Scarbee MM bass]

It's kind of frightening how much Ian's random keyboard stylings sound like something Cecil Taylor would do. Maybe I should apply for a NEA grant on Ian's behalf... :lol:

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Very cool man. Although I don't want to rush it, my son is 7 months old and I can't wait to do stuff like this with him. He's pretty content at just sitting there bobbing around and watching daddy jam right now, so that's a good start.

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
That sounded like every piece of Jazz I've listen to. I love jamming with my kids to me and my youngest got a wicked tune in the making.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Dude, I bet Lee would buy this right now. :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
So what does it sound like without his part? :D

No kids for me for a few years yet, but hell yes I am gonna get my goddaughter an instrument.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very cool man. Although I don't want to rush it, my son is 7 months old and I can't wait to do stuff like this with him. He's pretty content at just sitting there bobbing around and watching daddy jam right now, so that's a good start.
The funny thing is, Ian at three still basically hits keys at random (though he's got some two-handed syncopation going on), but my nine-month-old son ******* already seems to be hitting certain keys on purpose on the little toy piano we have for the boys. ******* also took to playing on that toy piano as soon as he could reach the keys, while Ian never played with it as much. On the other hand, Ian loves all things percussion--including things not meant to be percussion... :lol:

So what does it sound like without his part? :D
Much less clangorous! :lol:

This is just a rough mix of exactly what was played by both of us. For the album version (yes, it's going on the album), I may reduce it to just guitar and bass and see how it works.

My guitar part was just a first take done quickly while Ian was running around the room after he finished recording. It's got a weird latin thing going on, and I'm not sure where that came from.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I like that it makes the album!
"Ian's etude" hehe

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Than you so much for this being nothing like Ya Yo Gak. :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts