Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, thanks to Drew's Strat thread, his insane playing, and just general GAS, I impulse bought a Dimarzio AT1. It went into my "Maiden/Smith" strat, in place of the Super Distortion that was there. I liked the SD, but with the noiseless singles it was too much of a jump in compression to get a good balanced tone out of the guitar. I don't mind tweaking EQ between guitars, but not between pickups on the same guitar. :lol:

So first we need our victim, the pickup, and some tunes:

Then we do some wiring:

(This time I forgot pics of the new wiring. :facepalm: )

Then we post a shitload of pr0n:

Clip through my Peavey Transformer:

I flipped through the pickups while playing, starting on the neck clean, and on the bridge with the crunch. The high gain was mostly the bridge pickup. I'm not Drew, so this was just noodling around. :lol:

The pickup sounds great, much smoother than the SD in the bridge. It can still bring the metal though. I can also switch through all the pickup positions without a loss of volume or a huge jump in compression(at the bridge).

Basically, a huge win. :yesway:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
"You suck!"

I'm relieved to hear it worked out for you, man. I dig the shit out of that pickup myself, but my tastes aren't THAT metal, so I'm glad to hear it worked out for you.

Just hit the distortion part of the clip - yeah, it handles the Maiden vibe pretty well. It's a cool pickup, it's not completely in your face (hello, arpeggios!) which just gives it this great vocal quality for soloing, yet it's pretty balanced for muted stuff too. I dig it. :D

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha, thanks Drew. I had that drink anyway, so I'm a bit buzzed now. :lol: Yay for booze at 12 on a Sunday!

The SD sounded great doing gallops, but suffered playing lead stuff. With that being the only hum on the guitar, it got a bit annoying. This works better.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Also, holy hell you run your pickups close to the strings. :lol:

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For some reason, that bridge pickup looks closer than it is in that pic. With the neck angle though, there's little variation in string height by the bridge with the last fret held, it's probably 2-2.5mm from the string in reality.

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
That sounds great man, digging the tones. My strat gas is through the roof at this point.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
even though my TAG Pro Am 7 takes care of both my 7 string and strat needs, all these recent strat threads made me dust off the 'ole YJM strat :lol:.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
You suck!

Ok, maybe you don't, but you asked for it! Nice playing dude :yesway: And yes, you're all doing a fine job of giving me Strat GAS too :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts