Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going over to my friends house tonight to help him EQ a dual rec he got (running through a Peavey 5150 cab)..

This is pretty much the same rig the new guitarist from Stratovarious used live (hence why he got the rig, lol), how can i help him EQ it to get a similar rhythm sound?

He currently does not have a boost pedal (he said he is going to grab one), but in the mean time he has a GT-8 in the loop (for FX) and the dual rec its self, any one have any suggestion on how to get a "tight" sound out of this amp with out a boost (at least for now)?

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
les bass, more everything else. the gt-8 should have a boost in there. like a distortion or something, turn the drive down a lot and the level up a lot

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
skip the GT-8 for now.

Stratovarious eh? I'll give "metal rhythm" a shot:

Ch3 modern
Bold
Master: 11:30
Presence: 9 o'clock
Bass: 9:30
Mids: 3
treble: 10 o'clock
gain: 1 o'clock
Output: to taste

Try that out :yesway:

I was running this setting unboosted

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
skip the GT-8 for now.

Stratovarious eh? I'll give "metal rhythm" a shot:

Ch3 modern
Bold
Master: 11:30
Presence: 9 o'clock
Bass: 9:30
Mids: 3
treble: 10 o'clock
gain: 1 o'clock
Output: to taste

Try that out :yesway:

I was running this setting unboosted
Thanks bro, i am going to forward this to him :)

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
BTW, I'm assuming that's "Mids at 3 o'clock" rather than 3 out of 10.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
Yea, i run bass really low too. 9 o'clock ish to help with the tightness.

Basically start with all the knobs at noon and work from there

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think he tried it yet (he went out of town yesterday), but he did get it.

Cant wait to hear it, thanks for your help man!

·
swan dive
174 Posts
Tell him to be careful with it. If he looks at the amp wrong or a fly lands on any of the knobs, they'll turn and he'll lose that sound forever.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Tell him to be careful with it. If he looks at the amp wrong or a fly lands on any of the knobs, they'll turn and he'll lose that sound forever.
I never found Rectos to be THAT hard to dial in.

·
swan dive
174 Posts
I'm elaborating slightly, but it seemed like with the Dual Rec I had, that it took awhile to get a good sound out of it, and while transporting it in my case, the knobs would turn slightly, and I'd have to start over. They definitely aren't as "Plug and Play" as a lot of the heads I've used. Then again, I'm using an Axe Fx now, so what the hell do I know? :rofl:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I'm elaborating slightly, but it seemed like with the Dual Rec I had, that it took awhile to get a good sound out of it, and while transporting it in my case, the knobs would turn slightly, and I'd have to start over. They definitely aren't as "Plug and Play" as a lot of the heads I've used. Then again, I'm using an Axe Fx now, so what the hell do I know? :rofl:
Are you sure you're not mistaking the changes inherent to different rooms, temperature, humidity, etc for slight changes of the knobs? The concept of fixed knobs is completely foreign to me, since I'm constantly tweaking the eq stack to make the amp sound it's best on any given night, in any given place. That is one of the things that always drove me nuts about modelers: it was too difficult to just turn around mid set and, say, bump the treble knob up half a tick.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
They're not that hard to get a good sound from them, once you get a feel for the controls.

However, going from a "good" sound to "THE" sound will probably drive you crazy. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
They're not that hard to get a good sound from them, once you get a feel for the controls.

However, going from a "good" sound to "THE" sound will probably drive you crazy. :lol:
Not only that, but "THE" sound at home/lower volume and "THE" sound at the gig are two very different things :lol:

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Yeah I always had trouble getting a good tone out of the dual/triple recs. It seemed to saturate too much under high gain and get muddy on the low strings. I probably just didn't spend enough time when I was demoing it, cause I didn't flip any switches or stuff in the back to mess around with it. I just got the ENGL instead because I feel that it sounds good at any EQ setting, and it was easy to get sounding great.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I always had trouble getting a good tone out of the dual/triple recs. It seemed to saturate too much under high gain and get muddy on the low strings. I probably just didn't spend enough time when I was demoing it, cause I didn't flip any switches or stuff in the back to mess around with it. I just got the ENGL instead because I feel that it sounds good at any EQ setting, and it was easy to get sounding great.
Yea thats what i noticed about my Invader, its really hard to dial the amp to sound bad, i pretty much get a consistent sound that cuts really well with out worrying too much about my EQ. I might do some minor tweaks here that take under 5 seconds, but i love how its a "good" sound out of the box.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Which is funny, because I had the exact same complaint about the Powerball that you have with the Recto :lol:

Gotta love subjective stuff like tone.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
More likely, since a Recto is relatively uncompressed and undampened in playing response and an Engl is the complete opposite, you just don't really pick that hard. A Recto seems to be happier when you hit the strings relatively hard than when you rely on preamp gain to get away with a softer touch.

Reactions: Seanbabs

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
Or a good overdrive up front, however the recto still sounds better then the ENGL to my ears, to me the ENGL sounds too solid statish and if I wanted that sound I would go for it.

More likely, since a Recto is relatively uncompressed and undampened in playing response and an Engl is the complete opposite, you just don't really pick that hard. A Recto seems to be happier when you hit the strings relatively hard than when you rely on preamp gain to get away with a softer touch.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.