Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
I think this is pretty rad. They announced an ENGL Savage module at NAMM and I'm super pumped for it. May also get the HBE module but TBH I'm not sure I need it.

Also I appreciate having Nick "Rock You to Hell" Bowcott come out of fuckin' nowhere.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think this is pretty rad. They announced an ENGL Savage module at NAMM and I'm super pumped for it. May also get the HBE module but TBH I'm not sure I need it.

Also I appreciate having Nick "Rock You to Hell" Bowcott come out of fuckin' nowhere.
They keep saying that with the two modules in the amp head, it will basically be a 4 channel amp. In the rackmount version, the power amp was designed by Fryette. If Mesa or EVH gets involved, I will probably have to dip into the savings again

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
They keep saying that with the two modules in the amp head, it will basically be a 4 channel amp. In the rackmount version, the power amp was designed by Fryette. If Mesa or EVH gets involved, I will probably have to dip into the savings again
It'll be a cold day in hell before Mesa or EVH gets involved.

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
Though judging how they've done with the Fender and Marshall stuff, I wouldn't be surprised to see them get someone to make a Mesa or EVH module.

TBH, most of their stuff is kinda overpriced, but the tabletop unit is pretty reasonable, and that rack power amp is also super cool (two channel tube power amp in a 1RU space?!). The head plus two modules approaches the cost of the BE100 or Savage, and at that point you really have to think about whether it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Yeah if you want that level of flexibility there are amps you can buy that will give you it. Just not in the sense they are coming something else

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
the cost is more than 400 because you have to buy an enclosure for the preamp module. You can buy enclosures that
a) hold one module
b) hold two modules
c) modules plus power amp

If you go with an enclosure without a power amp you will need the power amp of a head or stand alone power amp.

I personally like the idea of effectively adding channels to a pre existing head via the synergy

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
the cost is more than 400 because you have to buy an enclosure for the preamp module. You can buy enclosures that
a) hold one module
b) hold two modules
c) modules plus power amp

If you go with an enclosure without a power amp you will need the power amp of a head or stand alone power amp.

I personally like the idea of effectively adding channels to a pre existing head via the synergy
Yeah, it's kind of like taking the benefits of a Kemper or Axe-FX and boiling it down to a simpler form, specifically being able to assemble a variety of easily-accessible tones. I like the idea but I doubt I'd use it for that purpose, it'd be more for recording. I keep having to fight the impulse to just go ahead and throw down on the 800 and HBE modules instead of waiting for the Savage module to jump in.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I heard Mike Soldano is helping Synergy come up with a Dual Rec module. :fawk:
ZING!

These are a cool idea, but A. I've yet to hear one clip that was good, B. they're so expensive you might as well get a Helix or AX8, and C. no one has them to try anyway.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
ZING!

These are a cool idea, but A. I've yet to hear one clip that was good, B. they're so expensive you might as well get a Helix or AX8, and C. no one has them to try anyway.
Agreed. They've been getting a lot of attention on a couple of the FB groups I'm in, but I can't see the logic in grabbing one of these when those options are available that can do so much more. I wonder how much better these are than the Randall/Egnater modules that were out a few years back?

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
Agreed. They've been getting a lot of attention on a couple of the FB groups I'm in, but I can't see the logic in grabbing one of these when those options are available that can do so much more. I wonder how much better these are than the Randall/Egnater modules that were out a few years back?
On the other hand, getting an actual tube HBE and Savage preamp designed by those companies for significantly less makes sense to me. Assuming they sound good, I've heard demos of the 800 module that demonstrate that they sound very close, if not exact. Assuming that carries over to the others, it has a value for that reason if nothing else.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
These things kind of ignore the part the power amp plays in getting that soldano/deizel/Friedman sound :shrug:
Yup.

I mean, everyone here knows how big of a modeling fan I am, so obviously I think that's a better solution. :D

Seriously though, if these were like half the price, I'd be curious. At $900 bare minimum entry, fuck that.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
These things kind of ignore the part the power amp plays in getting that soldano/deizel/Friedman sound :shrug:
Well, no, for friedman since friedman designed the amps (the head ones anyway, the rack one's a fryette). lol. But for Diezel definitely, for SLO yeah that too I guess, never heard one in person but everyone seems adamant about that custom transformer :lol:

There's actually a demo of someone with the diezel module playing into a diezel and it sounds just about the same.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Yeah, my first thought too. Considering how large a part of the Soldano sound was supposed to be due to the transformer, especially...

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Yup.

I mean, everyone here knows how big of a modeling fan I am, so obviously I think that's a better solution. :D

Seriously though, if these were like half the price, I'd be curious. At $900 bare minimum entry, fuck that.
Yeah, my first thought too. Considering how large a part of the Soldano sound was supposed to be due to the transformer, especially...
EHHHHHHHH. I mean, yes but with a caveat.

The Egnater and Randall modules definitely suffered for the fact that a lot of them sounded too same-ish, partially because of the significance of the power section and partially because of having the same R&D department designing each of them. The aftermarket modules like Salvation and Jaded Faith proved that modules CAN sound distinct from one another and CAN match the amps they're designed after. The fact that they got the original amp designers to work with them on the modules definitely gives me more faith.

The thing I'm more concerned about is the reliability. I've seen/heard enough issues with the Randall setups to seriously wonder about the viability from that end. Yes, there's a significant chance they were just poorly built but it was widespread enough and it was really the ONLY major attempt at modules, and it failed there. Logically, I can see an issue with having multiple removable tone stacks and how those contacts (especially if you're swapping them in and out) effect what's happening in the power section. I'm imagining what happens when you unplug your speaker cabinet with your amp turned on, but multiplied by a lot of added connections and pins to worry about.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
They just use a slot connector so really it shouldn't have any issues aside from oxidization. This isn't a sun server with a connector that has 10,000 pins on it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts