Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone! So i wasn't sure how to name this thread properly, or if it's been asked before... but what i am really curious about and wanted to know if anyone here had experimented with, is how to create that "muted" guitar distortion effect (i'm not sure how to describe it haha) that i've heard typically being used as an intro to songs. For example in Volumes' Affirmation of Ascension
-Hopefully that makes more sense now! :p

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I'm very confused about what the OP is referring to. I listened to that "Volumes" song and couldn't find anything in that entire song that I would define as "muted distortion." Before I listened to it, I imagined a distorted guitar tone at a low volume with effects such as a 1930s broken fuzzy radio effect, but I heard nothing of the type in that song and nothing that could really be defined as "muted" distortion.

Could you clarify what you're talking about? :scratch: I hope you don't mean "How do you palm-mute?"

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Is "Just Don't" an acceptable response here? :lol:

I'm pretty Teddy is the bro to help you with this one.
Teddy actually plays non-djent stuff when left to his own devices, believe it or not - don't let his misguided dislike of Paul Gilbert lead you astray, dude actually has chops, AND (Gilbert aside) taste. :yesway:

OP, before you reply, look up "how to palm mute" on youtube and see if that's what you mean.
Yeah, do this. If palm-muting IS what you're referring to, then djent has hit an all-time-low, and it's a technique, not an effect, where you slightly mute the strings at the bridge with the edge of the palm of your hand to change the way the notes ring out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm very confused about what the OP is referring to. I listened to that "Volumes" song and couldn't find anything in that entire song that I would define as "muted distortion." Before I listened to it, I imagined a distorted guitar tone at a low volume with effects such as a 1930s broken fuzzy radio effect, but I heard nothing of the type in that song and nothing that could really be defined as "muted" distortion.

Could you clarify what you're talking about? :scratch: I hope you don't mean "How do you palm-mute?"
Gah i screwed up the song title! that's not the song i meant, my bad! I meant Volumes' Behind The Curtain...
right at the intro! Sorry for the confusion...

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
yup, someone used a filter to take all the good shit out of the guitar tone to make it sound like a thin tinny piece of shit.

it's overdone IMO. i would spend the 150 bucks your going to spend on a pedal to make your guitar sound shitty on anything else.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Gah i screwed up the song title! that's not the song i meant, my bad! I meant Volumes' Behind The Curtain...
right at the intro! Sorry for the confusion...
:lol: So it actually was pretty much what I was imagining. Not a 1930s fuzzy radio effect, but similar in that it was a lo-fi filter. Also, I doubt they do it the same way live. Either that intro is played as a "sample" through the PA and then the band all joins in where it gets loud or the guitarist just plays it normally without the effect.

·
Look what I can do
498 Posts
:lol: So it actually was pretty much what I was imagining. Not a 1930s fuzzy radio effect, but similar in that it was a lo-fi filter. Also, I doubt they do it the same way live. Either that intro is played as a "sample" through the PA and then the band all joins in where it gets loud or the guitarist just plays it normally without the effect.
+1
Sounds like a high & lo pass filter with a bump in the mid-range, maybe some bit crushing/lo-fi stuff going on. Thats something that I'd bet 99% of the time is done in post-processing in the DAW instead of actually played live through any sort of FX setup.

Could be done...just not worth the trouble.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
+1
Sounds like a high & lo pass filter with a bump in the mid-range, maybe some bit crushing/lo-fi stuff going on. Thats something that I'd bet 99% of the time is done in post-processing in the DAW instead of actually played live through any sort of FX setup.

Could be done...just not worth the trouble.
Depends what you're doing. I do something similar at the beginning of one of my band's songs, all I have is two EQs doing a high pass and low pass, and then an expression pedal changing the cut off of each (bottom of expression is filtered, top of expression is the tone with no EQ more or less). Easy with a multieffects, not quite as easy with individual stomps.

However it's just the guitar on its own, no drums or anything going through it.

·
Look what I can do
498 Posts
Depends what you're doing. I do something similar at the beginning of one of my band's songs, all I have is two EQs doing a high pass and low pass, and then an expression pedal changing the cut off of each (bottom of expression is filtered, top of expression is the tone with no EQ more or less). Easy with a multieffects, not quite as easy with individual stomps.

However it's just the guitar on its own, no drums or anything going through it.
Good point, thats pretty creative. I'm more of the 'delay & verb dude...some chorus if I want to get all craaazzzyyyy' type. If I'm using effects other than that its because I'm dicking around with my Pod just to make some random way out there patches that are fun to mess around with. So-to-say, I don't typically think of actual useful implementations of multi-fx even though they're all I've used since like 2005 :p

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Good point, thats pretty creative. I'm more of the 'delay & verb dude...some chorus if I want to get all craaazzzyyyy' type. If I'm using effects other than that its because I'm dicking around with my Pod just to make some random way out there patches that are fun to mess around with. So-to-say, I don't typically think of actual useful implementations of multi-fx even though they're all I've used since like 2005 :p
I'm a techy by nature (job and interest) so I tend to get into the deep editing and crazy ways of using things quite quickly. Also, having done a fair amount of recording over the years, things like automation and what have you gave rise to ideas. That's where I got the idea to do it with an expression pedal rather than just change patches.

I'm scared about the AxeFX, because if I ever got one I don't think I'd ever play guitar again....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.