Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been battling with my kick in SD for a while now and I have realized that everything I am doing isn’t getting me where I want to go with it. Basically I am after the kick sound from Periphery II album. Facepalm Mute is a good example.
Your normal scooped kick but with a really nice low end punch. I can only really get too thuddy or gutless click.
I will post up a clip of that I have so far later as I am at work at the moment.

I Have tried everything EQ wise but not combined with compression settings.

Any advice?

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Yeah, I'm using parallel compression a lot these days. I think it will get you where you want to go. :yesway:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Awesome, thanks guys! I will have a look when I get home. Cant at the moment annoyingly as I'm at work but looks like it could be the ticket, right there.

I will post up a clip to see what y'all think :metal:

Plus it'l be good to get some feedback on my Pod HD tone combined with the kit sounds.

EDIT 1: One thing I have just thought of: I do have the entire kit bussed together separately with a metric fuck-ton of compression on under the individual channels. Like the Ola Englunds drum video :yesway:

Would this Parallel comp'ing be on top of that as well? or should I do it separately on its own bus to have better control, do you think?

EDIT 2:
http://www.faderwear.com/guides/parallel_compression.shtml

This seems to be an easy-to-understand write up.
Looks like it is worth doing in addition too with both snare and kick. :yesway:
looks like I know what I am doing with my evening :D

·
18,790 Posts
The mix is still not quite there, but the kick sounds pretty good. I found everything suddenly sounded very mono and thin once the intro passed. I think maybe the intro/synths in general need to come down a bit, and the overall bottom end needs to be fuller. The songwriting's really great, though :yesway:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I fucking love your songwriting dude.
I know fuck all about mixing but that was awesome:metal:
Cheers guys :wub:

The mix is still not quite there, but the kick sounds pretty good. I found everything suddenly sounded very mono and thin once the intro passed. I think maybe the intro/synths in general need to come down a bit, and the overall bottom end needs to be fuller. The songwriting's really great, though :yesway:
Soundcloud has raped the quality on this annoyingly. Although I have been thinking the same actually. Been playing with the master which im not great at. Getting there though :yesway:

I have most things panned at like 95% L/R so I think its the drums that make it sound a bit centered. Will have another play and see what comes out.

Thanks for the input, too! Really very grateful :)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I noticed my comp channels for the drums were centered so have panned them. Think that has got it ;)

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
All I know is I'm about to shove cash through my computer at you to buy an album of that. It's like a more modern-influenced Borknagar (one of my fav bands).

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:lol: Well thanks very much! Still got a fair bit to do for this album but hopefully not massively far away.

I haven’t listened to Borknager is yonks either! Will have to dig them out this weekend

1 - 16 of 16 Posts