Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We used to have a great thread over at sevenstring.org about this, and it appears the original article (from Harmony Central) is down. Doing a bit of searching, this appears to be the same thing - I'm guessing HC copied it from here, and not vice versa. Anyway, it's a great read:

Acoustic Guitar Recording Techniques

Also, here's another pretty good read - one musician's home-studio approach that, while not exactly low budget, is certainly within the realm of what can be done on a reasonable budget in the confines of your own place:

Acoustic Guitar Recording 101 - Home Recording

A properly recorded acoustic guitar is a thing of beauty, but getting it on tape is no easy feat. Hopefully these will help.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
A properly recorded acoustic guitar is a thing of beauty
Damn skippy! When I'm mixing bands, if there's any acoustic guitar in there I automatically lick my lips and work on it first :lol: My ears tend to prick up when I hear absolutely lush acoustic guitars, more so than when I hear an amazing distorted tone.

Awesome articles :yesway:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Do you think an SM-57 and a cheap condenser mic will work? Cuz that all I've got. :lol: I really need to get my webcam working and try to record some singer-songwriter stuff.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Do you think an SM-57 and a cheap condenser mic will work?
Pretty perfect actually dude, dynamic an condenser mics partner very well with stringed instruments. The condenser has a bigger overhead and more detailed range in the upper register so set that back a little bit, nearer the fretboard than the body, and use the 57 for capturing the actual playing detail near the body

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd start with the cheap compressor, and record 2+ takes. Your timing has to be PERFECT though.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
...Your timing has to be PERFECT though.
Hell yeah man, it's nowhere near as forgiving as thundering guitars with a fuck-ton of distortion. The overlap is so goddam noticeable it's painfully obvious!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts