Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to put the stock EMGs back into my LTD MH7, and thought I had all I needed, then started looking at the selector switch and really realized I have no idea what I’m doing here. :lol:

I can swap passives all day, but I have no idea what to do with the quick connects or the selector switch and such on passives.

Any good resources out there?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I'd yank it all out and go with standard passive pickup electronics (250~500kohm pots, solder-tab switches, etc).

EDIT: OH. You're putting the EMGs *in*. Hmm. You can cut off the connectors, though then you're stuck with soldering them. It shouldn't matter with the switch, but it will when it comes to the pots... Did you get some 25kohm pots?

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's what I have to work with right now (plus the stereo output jack and the battery plug):

I thought I had everything, but then the selector switch threw me...

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, found this video. Looks like I'm just short one pickup harness. Anyone know where to get one of those without buying a whole kit?

Might try Radio Shack...

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
The EMG solderless kit is aggravating, because if you don't have it all, you can't complete it. Not without modifying it anyway. I much prefer not using it where I can. Any 25k audio taper pots will do the trick. That and a stereo jack are the only things that separate active and passive wiring, really (that and 9v power).

As for the lead from the pickup - They're notoriously difficult to get hold of. I think you may be able to get them individually from EMG without buying a full kit.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I'd probably just say fuck it and solder wires to the leads on the bottom of the pickup :lol: I have some 6 string EMGs I've been thinking of throwing into one of my 6s just for shiggles, and I don't have any of the wiring stuff for it. Thinking I'm just going to solder wires directly to the leads on the bottom of the pickup.

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
Contrary to some opinions posted so far, this is why I love EMGs. :lol: Yeah you need everything, but if you have all the parts needed, it's so easy to work with. Easy to plug stuff in, easy to change it if you make a mistake, and you don't have to worry about cold solder joints. I prefer passive pickups, but I tried to wire my Xtone with passives from scratch, had a hard time with a couple solder joints, then just gave up and put the EMGs back in. I'm not crazy about them for clean and lower gain tones, but it was so satisfying plugging everything in and having it work on the first try. :lol:

I just did a quick Google and worst case, you should be able to order a complete solderless kit for $40 or $50 at any major guitar store. If you're in Canada, L&M has them (out of stock... I checked Cosmo quickly with no luck, but I'm at work so didn't look too hard).

https://www.long-mcquade.com/82098/...olderless-for-1-or-2-Pickups-w-Long-Shaft.htm

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice!

Found a pickup wire on EMG's site, and ordered it. Hopefully, that solves my problem... stay tuned! :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts