Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for OSX, but it will work in Windows as well if you have Cygwin installed. It's more of an IT thing but since I'm using it for backing up Reaper, I'll toss it in this forum.

First, you need something to actually back your files up to. A NAS will do, or a USB hard drive. (Or an FTP server, though the syntax will be a little differently). Basically, storage. You can even use this for a folder on the same drive as your original source. Either way, your destination drive will need to be mounted (duh).

Find the location of your source. For me, it's /Volumes/MacHD/Recording

Then, the location of your destination. In my case it's /Volumes/Reaper/Facta

Now, the uber one-liner. Save this as a bash script and kick it off when Reaper closes (I'll get back to this on how to do that), or run it as a shutdown/startup script.

Code:
rsync --delete -av /Source/Folder/ /Destination/Folder
The --delete switch will make the destination path clean up any shit that you get rid of locally. (The "Clean Current Project Directory" option). So if you get rid of old takes, reapeaks, etc locally, rsync will dump them from the backup as well. The -a is archive mode, the -v is verbose.

You'll end up with something that looks like this:

If you're on OSX, make a new file titled reaperbackup.sh, and in it put the following:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
rsync --delete -a /Volumes/Source/Folder /Volumes/Destination/Folder
Save it, then run 'chmod 777 reaperbackup.sh'. (A +x might do it, but since it's local, 777 is fine). Now you can call the file with a simple ./reaperbackup.sh and voila, your stuff will be all sync'd up and you can safely let your drummer touch your DAW.

I'll update this a bit more once I get the rest of it done locally, so I have fun and interesting screenshots and shit. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm heading out for a bit but I'll help you get it running.

In cygwin, your paths will look something like:

/cygdrive/c/your/source/folder and /cygdrive/x/your/destination/folder

You'll need to map a network drive to your USB drive (or wherever you're keeping the backups).

Cygwin is a bash shell, so it installs all of the usual *nix command tools with it, and they work under windows. Do you know how to edit the path in windows? You'll want to add c:\cygwin\bin right at the end of it, so that it can be called up anywhere.

-hopefully- you won't get any weird permissions error with Windows 7, but I don't know.

Edit: With windows, it might be easier to use folder synchronization, but I've never done it. That is, if this doesn't work for you (it should, we'll sort it out :yesway:).

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Once cygwin's installed, right click my computer, properties, and uh.. Advanced tab? (I don't have a windows box in front of me). Here, from Google:

For Windows XP:
Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced
Click on Environment Variables, under System Variables, find PATH, and click on it.
In the Edit windows, modify PATH by adding the location of the class to the value for PATH. If you do not have the item PATH, you may select to add a new variable and add PATH as the name and the location of the class as the value.
Close the window.
When you edit PATH, you want to go all the way to the end of what's already there (this is important, don't delete what's there currently!) and add a semicolon, then the cygwin stuff.

So if your path is like:

c:\windows\system32\;c:\windows\blah;c:\java\bin

You want it to look like:

c:\windows\system32\;c:\windows\blah;c:\java\bin;c:\cygwin\bin

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, cygwin will install some other shit you don't need. Like X11 shortcuts and crap like that on your desktop and in your start menu. You can delete all of those, all you need is the black/green shortcut. It'll open up what looks like a windows command prompt, except it will be better and full of sexy.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also Lyle, make sure you have a backup before you start pointing scripts at your final project files. Just copy/paste them somewhere else while you get it working. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Thanks for this, Chris. I've known of rsync for more than a few years, but I've never really gotten around to learning to use it. It looks a lot simpler than I'd expected. :yesway:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts