Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the shortest how-to ever, but for those of you (like me) who were on the fence about Impulses and if you could use them (or how to), here it is.

Make a new bus, add ReaVerb to it. In ReaVerb click Add under "Impulse Generation". Point it at a file/folder where your impulses are and pick one. The rest in that folder will show up in the dropdown.

Then just make a send for your tracks to that bus and voila, you can now scroll through impulses and see what moves you. Don't be afraid to try odd things, even if you mic your cab already. I'm getting some pretty neat results running a Cab sim'd AFX track into an Impulse. They all shape your tone one way or another, and you can come up with some pretty interesting tones.

Keep in mind that you can easily rename the VST instance so that you know what you're looking at, and to copy it to another track it's as easy as just dragging it to the bus you want to try it on.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I really like using them when recording a completely dry track using POD Farm (while monitoring with a patch), then reamping with a model, but instead of using POD Farm's speaker modeling, I'll use LA Convolver with a Red Wirez. Sounds much better than L6's own stuff.

·
Serious Bedroom Guitarist
982 Posts
I'm going to stop reading reaper manuals and just subscribe to Chris's threads :). This goes in my blog like the other ones...

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:lol: My side motivation for posting these is so that I can search for my own posts after I figure shit out. I know that sometimes I post stuff that's pretty "duh" worthy for people familiar with it, but everyone starts somewhere, ya know?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I always used the VST called SIR for cabinet emulation. Does doing this way take up less memory?
This is on my laptop, 8GB RAM for reference. "Guitar Bus" is where I'm running the impulse. PDC is Plug-in Delay Compensation. I'm running at 88.2khz, so a PDC of 16384 = 185ms. Basically the delay compensation Reaper introduces (the number of audio buffers) based on your audio settings, which determines the number of samples used.

Disabled:

Enabled:

Active: (Track playing)

·
Serious Bedroom Guitarist
982 Posts
:lol: My side motivation for posting these is so that I can search for my own posts after I figure shit out. I know that sometimes I post stuff that's pretty "duh" worthy for people familiar with it, but everyone starts somewhere, ya know?
Yeah, that's why I blog - same thing. Although you'd be surprised how few the worthy people with familiarity actual are, I know I am.

So, I wouldn't call it "duh" and I've now dubbed you The Grim Reaperer (especially apropriate since grim is a synonym of awesome in Swedish).

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
I just use the LeCab VST by LePou and then you can load up to 8 different cabs in it. The VST is free of LePou's website along with a host of awesome amp sims.

·
Premium Member
RGMS7
922 Posts
I just use the LeCab VST by LePou and then you can load up to 8 different cabs in it. The VST is free of LePou's website along with a host of awesome amp sims.
Most of his stuff is PC only, though he does have a few Mac versions of some of his stuff. I just found about about LeCab2 and it made my life waaaaay simpler when trying to blend impulses.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Oh right, he said hes going to make it all for mac because he just bought a mac himself.

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
Thanks Chris, I dl'd a shit load of stuff trying to get impulses to work. none of it worked so i deleted it all. :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Oh right, he said hes going to make it all for mac because he just bought a mac himself.
Sounds good to me! :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
^this is what I've been using as well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sorry to thread dig, but I just want to say thanks Chris for the tutorial. :yesway:

I downloaded Reaper tonight as I've finally had enough with how bad Cubase 5 was, seeing as it constantly didn't recognise VSTs when I continually rescanned the drives and then on the occasion it would load the VSTs, it would simply crash immediately. Reaper feels very intuitive, stripped down and easy for me compared to Cubase. Admittedly Cubase looks nicer but I've just found Reaper to dominate in consistent performance already. Fucking love it and don't think I'll be going back to Cubase. :metal:

Wish I found this out before I purchased the copy of Cubase. :facepalm: :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts