Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Pizza party!
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Geez, I'm asking too many questions around here today.

There's currently a deal around here to get one of the new 4GB 360s for $150, with the possibility of it maybe going for $100 (if you sweet talk the sales people). Seems like a decent deal for what it is.

I'm not sure how much use I'd get from such a small amount of storage, though.

So, how important are game installs on a 360?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
That's the Arcade, right? For $150 it's a good deal, and you can add a hard drive on after the fact for ~100 used for the 120GB. (That's what I did)

Game installs are uber-important, honestly. The system is obnoxiously loud when it's spinning the disc, and reading from the HD is faster, along with being quiet. Plus, it's less wear on the lens.

You'll install approximately zero games on the 4GB internal memory.

·
Pizza party!
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it's the new slim Arcade. They don't actually have any aftermarket HDDs available for it right now, and I wouldn't want to void the warranty with an unauthorized drive.

I'm torn, especially since I really don't need another system with all of my work/expenses and a PS3. I'm just sort of lusting over the idea of possibly getting it for $100.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
The 4gb model is perfectly fine for most gamers. Honestly, I've got a 120gb hdd and I barely use any of its space. I've installed a couple of games, but I could easily get along with the 4gb model.

·
Pizza party!
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MASSS
EFFECCCCT

:D
That's basically the reason why I wanted the 360 in the first place. A few of the other exclusives are cool looking, and I'll probably enjoy Gears of War (being a big God of War fan), but after playing DA:O, I want another Bioware fix. Bad. Hence, Mass Effect.

They're bringing MA2 to the PS3, but I'd rather not play that without first playing MA1. I have to see if someone is selling an English copy around Montreal.

Also, I don't even HAVE a Gamertag yet! :lol: I just got the system an hour ago, and it's still in the box. It may stay that way until I have another look at the finances and make sure I can afford to keep it.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
I'm not getting the new Xbox slim.

I'm not getting Kinect.

I'm on my last Xbox. If this one dies I'm just a PS3 gamer.

Also, I'm with Chris, I bought an Arcade for like $150 and bought a 120 GB drive separately.

·
Pizza party!
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not getting the new Xbox slim.

I'm not getting Kinect.

I'm on my last Xbox. If this one dies I'm just a PS3 gamer.

Also, I'm with Chris, I bought an Arcade for like $150 and bought a 120 GB drive separately.
I have no interest in Kinect, either, and I'm SUPER worried about the longevity of the console, especially with only a 1 year warranty.

This was a seriously reluctant purchase for me, but the price was too tempting - especially because this REALLY wasn't how the deal was supposed to work. It's just that in Quebec, the law is as such that retailers have to respect printed deals, even if they're typos or poorly phrased. The actual deal (across Canada) was for an Arcade for $199 + "free" $50 card OR the console alone for $149, not both a $149 console and $50 card. The phrasing was ambiguous, though, so the store (a nationwide megachain, not a mom-and-pop joint) had to respect it.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
I heard one industry guy explain it once that the Xbox system has 3 cores and more people playing it while the PS3 is actually more powerful with 7 cores but less people play it. Because of that it's both easier and more profitable to design games for the 360 and port them over to the PS3 than the other way around.

Of course I'm not in the industry and only know what I've been told but that makes sense. The last year or so though Sony has been making headway and a lot of us that said we'd really only play the 360 have bought PS3s. If the PS3 really is the more powerful system and it can produce bigger, better games than the 360, it will eventually take over. We'll see.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I never really install games that often...

The only limiting thing about the 4g console is that, say, the addons in borderlands are about 2 gigs, so if you're playing borderlands, you'll only have enough space for a few arcade games and systems files.

·
Pizza party!
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If the PS3 really is the more powerful system and it can produce bigger, better games than the 360, it will eventually take over. We'll see.
I'd like to see the PS3 take over, honestly. The Cell processor is still really strong, even a few years in. Plus, the capacity of the Blu-Ray means devs can build bigger games.

If it wasn't for Mass Effect (and maybe Fable and Gears of War), I probably wouldn't be too into getting a 360, but for $100 it seemed like a decent entry fee.

I never really install games that often...

The only limiting thing about the 4g console is that, say, the addons in borderlands are about 2 gigs, so if you're playing borderlands, you'll only have enough space for a few arcade games and systems files.
add ons for mass effect and GTA IV are reasons to have more HD space IMO.
I may get a 16 gig thumb drive to tide me over until the aftermarket HDD gets released/goes on Christmas sales. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

·
Pizza party!
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm still not totally sold on keeping the system right now, especially since I don't want to invest a lot of money in ANOTHER platform when the PS3 does me just fine with the limited time I have to play.

But dangit, a $100 slim was too tempting. :/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.