Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: this isn't metal, most of you won't like it, noodles will hate it, thus is the rules of mg.org :lol:

At any rate, I'm going for a "radio rock" sound with this one. Some of you may remember this song from before, but this is a new mix of it, with a completely new approach to the drum mix, and the mix in general. Let me know what you think, what needs tweaking, etc.

http://soundcloud.com/aaronvsmusic/the-greys-rock-mix

Edit: Mix 2

http://soundcloud.com/aaronvsmusic/the-greys-rock-mix-2

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Minus the wonky audio quality (not your fault obviously) there are two things I have to say:

Turn the guitar melody at the beginning up a little. (At I thought I heard something)
And turn the vocals down juuuuust a tad. Maybe add a little reverb or something to make it sound a little less dry?

Other than that it sounds pretty good.

noodles will hate it
There's not much most of us here like that was made after '94 or so :lol:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
I'd knock the vocals back a bit, and it needs a bit of high end sparkle. My speakers are quite tinny, but that sounds muffled to me, almost - on real speakers I imagine it'll sound a bit deep. Imagine putting a Boss Enhancer on it and you'll get what I mean!

Also, if that's the bass doing something cool at the start (I can just hear it) it needs to come up a bit. That chord sequence is pretty constant throughout, but the cool bass thing doesn't have space later, so let it shine through at the start. People will still recognise the guitar part when it comes in on repeat later.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
I agree with the guys above regarding the vocals. I'd turn them down a little but not too much. I'm not entirely sure, but I think I'd try to add some more compression on the vocals also, and possibly some more delay to make it sound less dry.

Also, I know you only specifically asked for thoughts on the mix, but I think you could improve the vocals with a more energetic and forceful performance. The current vocals sound a bit tired at times.

I'm not a huge fan of the sound of a snare drum, but I suppose it works alright.

Other than that, nice job. :yesway:

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments guys!

So far sounds like what I was thinking, but my ears were getting tired last night :D

Yeah, my main tweaks I think it needs:
-get vocals to sit right (possibly retrack some when I'm not sick anymore)
-get some parts to come out more (bass in intro, leads in other places)
-get drums to "cut" and "punch" a bit more.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
the drums don't need to cut more really, just need to be mixed a little more, the snare stands out just fine, the kick could come out a touch. just a touch. the cymbals need something. not sure what. vocals down a little or just a tad of verb to soften them. if you haven't already, consider lowpass/highpassing nearly everything except the kick.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Sounds good man! To add to what the other people said, the cymbals sound a bit off. During the chorus, I think it is the crash or china or something, that simple just sounds like "hiss" and it is kinda distracting. Go to to about 0:40 and you will hear what I am talking about. I don't now if there needs to be a lowpass on it or if the cymbals just need a bit more "meat".

·
should really be working.
366 Posts
Sounds good man! To add to what the other people said, the cymbals sound a bit off. During the chorus, I think it is the crash or china or something, that simple just sounds like "hiss" and it is kinda distracting. Go to to about 0:40 and you will hear what I am talking about. I don't now if there needs to be a lowpass on it or if the cymbals just need a bit more "meat".
This was the first thing I noticed as well. The hats and the China seem a little too fizzy. Great mix all around though. The vocals sounded about right to me through my headphones.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
The pre-chorus and chorus sound great.

The verses aren't doing it for me, and i think it's a combination of the vocals being really dry and up front, your vocal intonation being a little off, and the lyrics being a little cheezy.

I think the bass could come up in the mix a touch.

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
There's quite a bit of fizz on the guitars from 7KHz upwards. It has the effect of masking the sound of the rest of the mids of the guitars somewhat, so be aggressive on that frequency area with either the low pass or multi band EQ (or both).
Snare is too dark for this style of music. Some brightening up of the snare, and perhaps adding some samples could beef up the sound.
Depends where you want it to be really. A VERY cutting snare sound where the snare almost seems to be riding on the top of the mix (along with the vocals) gives a very immediate, punchy sounding.
Then there's also the less cutting sound where it seems to be sitting a little more closely with the guitars (that is, assuming the guitar sound is great in the first place and sitting well in the mix).
Both are great sounding approaches, up to you which one you choose to use.

As you're aware vocals are riding too high.
Use some more automation, to change where the guitars are riding at certain points.
Could have them riding higher during the verses, and then dropped back a little during choruses, or of course just at the same level throughout (and indeed making sure they are sitting pretty equal with other elements in the mix).
I'm more of a fan of having the guitars sitting higher throughout entire songs (except for guitar solos, where it definitely helps to drop rhythm guitars back), but again, two different approaches that work well and can sound great.

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
I've got nothing to add about the mix, but I did want to say that I dig the hell out of this song. :yesway:

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the comments guys! Here's a new mix, I think it fixes some of the issues, though the vocals still need to be re-tracked when I'm not sick, and the compression/limiting on the mastering job isn't quite right.

http://soundcloud.com/aaronvsmusic/the-greys-rock-mix-2

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
Something seems off about the second mix... and seems like the levels are too high when the chorus comes in at the 1:23 mark.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
I think Mix 2 sounded better. It's a little brighter than the first. The drums sound a lot better, too. They sound very 'right out the box' in Mix 1. Like the default Avatar kit. And I agree with the others that the vocals are a little too loud.

All this said, the mix sounds pretty damn cool. You could put out an EP/album with that mix and it wouldn't detract from the song writing or playing.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Second mix sounds WAY better. Guitars sound a bit more alive and each instrument has it's own space, sounds magic. Not as muffled as before.

Honestly, the only thing it needs now is maybe a bit more vocal variation, but if that's you singing it's pretty sweet. I'd maybe look for a bit more range, just so it sounds like your pushing your vocals a bit, but other than that, dude, I fucking love it. :metal:

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Second mix sounds WAY better. Guitars sound a bit more alive and each instrument has it's own space, sounds magic. Not as muffled as before.

Honestly, the only thing it needs now is maybe a bit more vocal variation, but if that's you singing it's pretty sweet. I'd maybe look for a bit more range, just so it sounds like your pushing your vocals a bit, but other than that, dude, I fucking love it. :metal:
Thanks dude :D This song was written as an acoustic track, and will end up as a more mellow version on the album, but I love this version too. I plan on getting a band together at some point that'll be a more straight-up rock, power trio type thing, but with some of our weirder influences thrown in to keep it interesting, and that'll definitely push my range a bit more :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts