Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Science teacher Dean Liptak got tired of the interruptions to his class from kids' cell phones, so he started jamming them. When Verizon told the school someone was jamming the neighborhood, he got a 5 day suspension.

"It may well be that Liptak's grasp of science is better than his grasp of modern technology. He reportedly believed that the jammer would only affect his classroom. He allegedly said that he even talked to a law enforcement officer who told him that jammers were only illegal if used with unpleasant intentions.

This isn't quite so.

Pasco County School District Spokeswoman Linda Cobbe told WTSP-TV: "Verizon had come to the school saying someone had a jamming device, because the cell phone service was being interrupted in the area."

Science teacher suspended for using jammer to shut up students' cell phones - CNET

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Oh, that would piss me off if I was living near that school and couldn't get any phone calls. :lol:

He could have gone the more effective route and just given them warnings, then sent them to the principal's office.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
From the way people in that video are talking you'd think that before mobile phones, we were all wandering around, lost and afraid, about to be shot by a crazy person or eaten by a leopard at any second.

Thank you, mobile phones, for saving us from the terrors of paying attention to the people we're sharing a room with. Bless you for distracting us from our education, and most especially being the entire basis for our safety. Our lifespans without you would be mere hours. Boring, tedious, google-less hours.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
From the way people in that video are talking you'd think that before mobile phones, we were all wandering around, lost and afraid, about to be shot by a crazy person or eaten by a leopard at any second.

Thank you, mobile phones, for saving us from the terrors of paying attention to the people we're sharing a room with. Bless you for distracting us from our education, and most especially being the entire basis for our safety. Our lifespans without you would be mere hours. Boring, tedious, google-less hours.
I share a room with no one. It can be pretty difficult to run a business without a phone. I haven't had a landline in almost 10 years, so my cell phone not working could sometimes be pretty problematic. Not as problematic as zero internet connection. Sure, 30 or 40 years ago, people worked without the internet, but my job would not exist without the internet and if my internet goes down for a day, that's a day that I can do no work at all and don't make any money.

Obviously high schoolers shouldn't be playing on their cell phones in class, but the jammer didn't just affect high schoolers. It affected the residences and buildings around the high school too, not to mention the teachers in the high school.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
I share a room with no one. It can be pretty difficult to run a business without a phone. I haven't had a landline in almost 10 years, so my cell phone not working could sometimes be pretty problematic. Not as problematic as zero internet connection. Sure, 30 or 40 years ago, people worked without the internet, but my job would not exist without the internet and if my internet goes down for a day, that's a day that I can do no work at all and don't make any money.

Obviously high schoolers shouldn't be playing on their cell phones in class, but the jammer didn't just affect high schoolers. It affected the residences and buildings around the high school too, not to mention the teachers in the high school.
How'd you get to no internet from no phone? No one said that.

We all know that if that happens, we're into a 'guy with the most bullets wins' scenario, fighting over the last tinned food within about 18 hours.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
What happened to teacher's confiscating things and giving them back to you at the end of the week?

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
That's awesome. :lol:

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anarchy for Fivay High School
It's coming sometime and maybe
I give a wrong time, stop a traffic line
Your future dream is a shopping scheme
'Cause I want to be Fivay High School
(I get pissed, destroy!)

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
How'd you get to no internet from no phone? No one said that.

We all know that if that happens, we're into a 'guy with the most bullets wins' scenario, fighting over the last tinned food within about 18 hours.
They are comparable. For people who need their cell phones to communicate with clients, the lack of a phone is a serious issue. For some people, it is just as big as having no internet (or close to that scale).

This teacher probably wouldn't have gotten in trouble if he had been capable of limiting the jamming to his classroom and didn't end up jamming the cell phones in the entire area surrounding the high school. Like Josh said, that can be a $44,000 fine by the FCC.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
They are comparable.
No, and only one of them happened, so I have no idea why you brought up the other.

And loss of neither is unsafe, which is what the people in the vid thought, and what I thought was pathetic and hilarious.

Might be in danger of talking to people in person, or reading a book. Hey, you may even not get run over by someone sending a text and not watching the road!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts