Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings

I just picked up a pair of Yamaha HS80M monitors but have been greeted with crazy buzz/hum when swapping them into my setup.

It seems that everything electrical affects it, too.
I have swapped over every cable, tried every power socket and combo I can think of and while the hum does differ, it is still very much there.
Maybe I have dirty power in my room - but why is it JUST these speakers that are affected by it so much??
If everything is unplugged from them, they are fine as silent as they should be. If I plug something in while it is off, they buzz a bit. If i turn it on, they buzz like hell!
Computer, PC screens, POD HD, interface etc. Everything affects it in some way.

Any thoughts? :(

I had some tapco S8s before these and they are fine

EDIT:
Seems a fair few people have this problem:
To Hell and Back w/ Yamaha HS80m - Gearslutz.com

I will some of the suggestions in this thread and see what happens. Don't want to remove my earth though!

·
Read Only
10 Posts
What do you have the output level set to on the monitors themselves? Are they 100% cranked?

Shielded cable vs. Unshielded - is there a difference in the amount of noise?

Have you tried the XLR input vs. 1/4"?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speaker output was set at 12oclock which is +4db I think? So not loud for them at all.

Cables used made no difference at all.

I havent tried XLR as I dont have XLR outs available at the mo. My mixer is a bit small and only has jack outs - upgrade for the future but not right now.

I had a look over the internet and found a few people with the same problem. Looks to be power related.

Best option is to reorganize all my power sockets so audio related things - speakers, interface, mixer - is all on 1 socket and the PC, screens and xbox are on a separate socket.

Another option is to remove the earth pin but I dont want to do that.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Yeah definitely don't remove the earth pin. You want them on different circuits if possible, not just different sockets. Ground loops are a giant pain in the dick.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool thanks dude. If my socket reorganizing doesnt work I will try that. I will try getting a totally different circuit me thinks. :yesway:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the music gods way of saying "Finish the fucking Season's End album, Tim."
:lol: I KNOW :(

Damn singers needing to redo parts. Should never have let them do it.

When it's done, I'm going to delete it all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts