Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I got a TS7 on the way, I know this thing is gonna rape ALL SORTS of ass! Can any of you users give me a heads up as a good starting point for a good tone? I'll not be using the TS7 I don't think when I end up playing with this other punk band, but the other band I'll be in, we're doing Throwdown and 36 Crazyfists kinda stuff, so anything like that would be fantastic!

:wub:

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
My big deal with the HT5 is to swap out the Preamp tube from the STock 12AT7 for a 12AX7. Allows you to get a lot more gain out of it, and allows you to get a really nice dry britty tone with just about any pickup. I never boosted mine, but on the other hand, I already use EMGs/Blackouts in all my guitars, so There was MORE than enough power hitting the front-end to really make the boost necessary, especially after the swap.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I don't remember there being a 12AT7 in mine... just one 12AX7 and the 12BU7 it uses as an output stage :shrug:

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Did you get yours new or used? the HT-5H I got new had a 12AT7 in the pre.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Did you get yours new or used? the HT-5H I got new had a 12AT7 in the pre.
New.

It was about the same vintage as Darren's, and had absolutely no shortage of gain. I dunno if PSP's is an AX or AT, but he gets some incredibly gainy tones out of it.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Got my HT5 brand new with a single Sovtek 12AX7 in the pre slut.

Replaced it with a high gain JJ ECC83S from Eurotubes... It added a bit of thightness, maybe 5% more gain but with it, I was looking to start the gain stage earlier, at lower level and it does just that. I barely play clean so...

... And my boost (Bloody Murder) is almost always on. Amp sounds great without it, but sounds way better... More grit and WAY tighter with it. The gain on my dirty channel is around noon, so that tells you how much gain the amp has. Imo, past 3' o'clock, it gets into the "too much" gain territory and loose definition.

I really prefered the "Recto" side of the ISF feature at first but since 2-3 weeks, i'm all the down on the "Marshall" side... Must be the Dokken mood i've been in for the past month. :lol:

+ 1 on what Darren said : the boost straight into the clean channel sounds amazing!

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
... Also,

I've been using a Danalectro EQ in the loop, like forever. I use it when I wanna get a spongier, more "oumph-y" and compressed sound. Cheap and efficient. :yesway:

:lol: @ Aaron's post.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts