Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; ADR6400L 4G Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

This post is from it. So far its a massive upgrade from my original Droid. The only thing it's missing would be a separate button for the camera like the droid has. But all in all this is a much faster phone with a bigger screen and a connection almost rivaling my penis broadband.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. It was either this or the Droid X, and this looks like the faster better phone overall.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
How does the interface of the phone feel in general? One of my complaints with the Droid is that it feels so......beta..... The newer HTC phones seem to have so much more polish and I love the look of the Sense UI. I often want to throw my Droid out the window.

Did you have problems with your Droid not properly turning the display off while talking on it? Mine does and it causes me to hit buttons with my fucking face. This morrning my girlfriend called me, and as I was talking to her it decided to place another call to some random fucking number.

Also, the fucking battery compartment cover. That fucking thing. What the fuck. Fuck.

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
How does the interface of the phone feel in general? One of my complaints with the Droid is that it feels so......beta..... The newer HTC phones seem to have so much more polish and I love the look of the Sense UI. I often want to throw my Droid out the window.

Did you have problems with your Droid not properly turning the display off while talking on it? Mine does and it causes me to hit buttons with my fucking face. This morrning my girlfriend called me, and as I was talking to her it decided to place another call to some random fucking number.

Also, the fucking battery compartment cover. That fucking thing. What the fuck. Fuck.
It makes even the EVO feel cheap. The Thunderbolt is a really beefed up, tweaked EVO, they really did a lot of great things to it. The Phandroid review of it is pretty good if you want to see it compared.

Also, maybe the sensor was dirty/busted. I never have a problem with the screen shutting off when on a call.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even my droid was pretty good about shutting the screen off when I got a call, unless I was resting the phone pn my shoulder. The thunderbolt is quite a bit better in that regard. I'm happy with it so far, it's exactly what I wanted; a droid with all my droid apps but running them a hell of a lot faster / smoother. Go SMS Pro and SlideIT run great on it and the NAV/GPS hasn't locked once. But then it's just the first day. I also like how it throws all my e-mail accounts into one app, which is a bit easier to manage than having a gmail app, a yahoo app, etc. First thing I did was get rid of that awful & huge HTC clock widget lol. I have the apps set up the same as my old droid.

Only notable oversights would be 1) the phone is kinda slippery, so even though I've almost always had my droid caseless I just ordered a rubberized case for this thing 2) it's missing a dedicated camera button though the camera is MUCH faster in practice and works much better in low light than the droid and 3) no HDMI out like on the EVO.

Those are the only things I can find as shortcomings. My typing is better on it too because of the bigger screen my fat fingers can type and slide type much more accurately.

So I like it, but it's the first day. We'll see. I loved my droid too until Froyo hit, then it slowed to a halt.

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
The T-Bolt is a beast, son. Congrats on an awesome phone. HTC knows how to make other manufacturer offerings look fuckin rookie. :metal:

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
Nice. My next phone will definitely have a 4,3" screen :yesway:

I'm thinking about this one:

Wish they didn't stop having the optical trackpad on their phones though.
I find it quite convenient on my htc desire.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another oddity about the thunderbolt... when it's charging, there's a yellow LED that lights up. If you get a text message, e-mail, or voicemail during this time, you don't see a blinking LED notification because the yellow LED is there in it's place.

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
You don't like the HUGE HTC clock/weather widget? I love that thing :lol:

I can't use it anymore since I switched to Launcher pro (4x5 icons per homescreen FTW! why this isn't default, or at least an option, i'll never know), but that and the Gallery are the two things I really miss since I started using the Sense-Free Skyraider ROM on my Incredible.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Teleca Q7; Brew 3.1.5; U; en) 240X400 LGE VX9700)

Let me know how the battery life is on it; Ive been meaning to upgrade and its either that or the Droid X.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Battery life doesn't appear to be very good as of yet, but let me break the sucker in and we'll see.

No I don't like the huge redundant weather / time thing. I find this much easier and I still get weather and time on the main screen:

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Teleca Q7; Brew 3.1.5; U; en) 240X400 LGE VX9700)

From what I've heard/been told, it seema the main power drain is live backgrounds and apps that are always running (which I wouldnt need)

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; ADR6300 Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Vince said:
Turning GPS off when I don't need it seems to save a lot of battery life.
Turning auto brightness off and setting it to one level helps as well.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iDevice of Awesomeness: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've got an iPhone, so not a direct comparison for battery life, but when I turn off location services (which includes GPS) I get a lot more battery life too. I'm at about 55% to 60% at 10pm.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Nice - I only picked up my first real smartphone about a week ago (i9000 Galaxy S) and am slightly baffled as to why it took me so long to get with the program, haha. In terms of battery life, as Groff said I think the screen brightness is by far and away the most important thing to look at - by switching from auto brightness to the lowest possible fixed setting (which is still ridiculously clear on the i9000), my screen is responsible for about 60-70% of the power drain, instead of 90%. Oh, and just because I can...

EDIT: Sorry, picture was way too big. Here's a thumbnail:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts