Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I was planning on replacing my standard pickups on my Dean guitar cause of the noise and the squeeking, but I am still doubting between:

- EMG Kerry King Set Electric Guitar Pickups & Accessories - EMG Pickups | KFK Set
- Seymour Duncan SH-13 Dimebucker Cutting Edge - Dimebucker™ SH-13 - Seymour Duncan/Basslines
- Bare Knuckle Nailbomb Nailbomb humbucker : Bare Knuckle Pickups Ltd, UK, Handwound Guitar Pickups

Can anyone guide me with this ??? I am looking for a nice and heavy metal / hardcore sound

Many thanks in advance

\m/

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Man, your first two pickup choices are like completely on the opposite sides of the spectrum. Sounds like you're basing on hype imo.

The EMG KK set is basically EMG actives with an added afterburner. KK just loves to push things before the amp as much as possible with his guitars. That's just too much.

Then you have the SD SH-13 which is totally passive and sounds completely different than the KK's.

I'm not sure about the tonal characteristics of the Nailbomb, but honestly I think you're jumping the gun here.

You should start by thinking about what pickups go better with the materials your guitar is made out of, then pick from there based on tonal characteristics.

For example, SD's site has a pickup wizard thingy, which could be improved, but is a good starting point overall.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
The first important question is "Do you want actives?" You have to change pots, wiring, output jack, add a battery, etc. They also are their own animal, so you have to make that choice first. I've found that if you're talking about your gigging guitars, you're going to want them to be all active or all passive since actives seem to just have so much output they dominate your other guitars. That's just my :2cents: though.

If you can clarify "noise and squeaking" and what tonal goals you have, we can better help you pick amongst various actives or passives. :yesway: The noises you're experiencing might be a wiring problem, for example.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I merged this with your other identical thread and cleaned it up a bit - please don't cross post. :yesway:

I started posting up a long diatribe on your usage ("doubting between," characterizing your situation as a "dilemma,") but you're from Belgium so I'll take it easy on you. :lol:

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Oh yeah, don't think the pickups alone are going to give you "the tone." The other biggest factors are your amp (tubes?), cab, and speakers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry and thanks for that Drew, I posted that first thread and noticed I might have posted this in the wrong section .... since other ppl already started replying it was too late to delete the other post.....

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Basswood? Go for a DiMarzio Tone Zone. Pretty hot, pretty good for metal, and goes well in basswood.

Also very important, what amp are you using? Any pedals or effects in the chain?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I would go for passives
This is just my backup guitar .... a Dean ML series with currently the standard zebra pickups.
When I play or don't it gives me a constant ringing sound ... which is driving me nuts
When playing my ESP it all sounds perfect on my Marshall through the boss me-70.
I am looking for a nice, heavy crunchy but still clean sound.
The sound I am looking for is in the genre of Pantera, Soulfly, Machine Head, .....

once again thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
What pickups are in the ESP? And that ringing sound you refer to... Is it coming from the guitar itself, of the pickups? I'm wondering if it's a resonance behind the nut or behind the bridge, or from the trem springs, or something.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On the ESP I got the standard EMG-ESP LH-300 passive humbucker.

As far as the ringing sound from my Dean .... I can only guess its the pickups .....thats the first thing that came into my mind ..... perhaps I should have it checked in the shop and I might have them replace the whole thing ... wiring, jack, nuts, humbuckers .....
I love playing this guitar coz its so light and the neck feels perfect .... all we have to do now is fix the sound :)

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Is it ike a weird reverby resonance when you strum a chord and then abruptly cut it off?

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
If it's both, then you have two problems.

One, something's resonating on your guitar. Is it a fixed bridge, or do you have a trem? If it's fixed bridge, try muting the strings behind the nut or behind the bridge with foam, since they're probably resonating there. If you have a trem, it's most likely the springs in the trem cavity. Try muting them with foam underneith the springs, or do what I do and just use a folded-up paper towel.

Two, your pickups probably ARE slightly microphonic.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
ringing sound from my Dean
put foam under the strings on the headstock as well. They're big ol headstocks and mine was highly susceptible.

SH13 is somewhat okay for basswood but it works way more for mahogany. Definitely look into something else. Oh yeah, and JB4's are horrible on basswood Dean ML's.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I can also recommend the Evolution in basswood, it's pretty bright and aggressive though, so again, I don't know what you're looking for. Do you want versatility or just plain straight up kickass?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts