Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Metallica Admit 'Lulu' Failure | News @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

but think it will eventually be recognised as a classic album.
Ok forget that part about humility...

Seriously though, it's about fucking time. Maybe the slate can now be wiped and they can move on? I just foresee a shitty future for this band regardless of this small slice of humble pie. I have no faith in any of their future releases, but I'm still hoping that one day they will write another record that has some impact.

Oh, hang on, wait...

But it leaves them cautious over their future projects, including their forthcoming 3D film which enters production this year.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Did they say "failure" or "some kind of joke at the expense of, well, everyone?"

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Only Chris cares about this ->: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't think many people would even consider this a Metallica album. It was a Lou Reed project, and Metallica just happened to be his backing band.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Lars said:
'Listen, there are some very, very, very hardcore metal fans out there that like everything pre-packaged in a particular little box that looks like this, and the minute that you slightly veer outside of that, then they have a hernia.
Translation: "It's not our shitty album, it's our narrow minded fans."

·
IN THE FAAACE!
1,247 Posts
"We just want to make sure that we don't throw ourselves out into something that gets so completely overwhelming that the whole thing just blows up in our face."
Like a metal album?

What a hack.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wirelessly posted (Only Chris cares about this ->: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't think many people would even consider this a Metallica album. It was a Lou Reed project, and Metallica just happened to be his backing band.
I'd love to look at it with that much objectivity, but... well... I can't. It's a collaboration, and was advertised as such. In fact, most people even worded it like "Metallica with Lou Reed". I'm not saying I see it that way, but it certainly wasn't a Lou Reed project.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I'd love to look at it with that much objectivity, but... well... I can't. It's a collaboration, and was advertised as such. In fact, most people even worded it like "Metallica with Lou Reed". I'm not saying I see it that way, but it certainly wasn't a Lou Reed project.
This. If it was met with cheers instead of jeers, Metallica would step right up and say "This is METALLICA with lou reed".

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
This is what happens when you are surrounded by yes-men.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Android; Linux armv7l; rv:9.0) Gecko/20111216 Firefox/9.0 Fennec/9.0)

Lars is officially Eric Clapton: a pretentious douche who is too stupid to realize that all his good albums are far behind him.

·
Boogadee Oogadee
1,209 Posts
The part about Reed taking it the hardest.... he's probably realizing that picking Metallica to collaborate with was suicide..... that in hindsight, he wasted his material by picking this band..... that in hindsight, picking this band (because of how they've been on the chopping block of many metalheads over the years) doomed his idea to fail from the get-go.

Imagine - if you had a bunch of stuff to record and release, picking a high-risk band like metallica b/c all you can think is 'this is the legendary METALLICA" - but it's a band with nothing but a recent history of overwhelming criticism. And you ignore it thinking that people will see this as a brave experimental departure and collaboration and see it as that. But no, your concerns came true and you wasted a bunch of material. that's probably what's bumming out Reed IMO.... that basically, you can't win with metallica... and he should have known that.

metallica could have changed their name for this to further depart themselves from their past in order to increase their chances for this to be viewed objectively, but it still wouldn't have worked. At the end of the day, it's still metallica..... shitting all over your vision.

if it were 4 nobodies with Reed, it would have been much better received IMO.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
The part about Reed taking it the hardest.... he's probably realizing that picking Metallica to collaborate with was suicide..... that in hindsight, he wasted his material by picking this band..... that in hindsight, picking this band (because of how they've been on the chopping block of many metalheads over the years) doomed his idea to fail from the get-go.

Imagine - if you had a bunch of stuff to record and release, picking a high-risk band like metallica b/c all you can think is 'this is the legendary METALLICA" - but it's a band with nothing but a recent history of overwhelming criticism. And you ignore it thinking that people will see this as a brave experimental departure and collaboration and see it as that. But no, your concerns came true and you wasted a bunch of material. that's probably what's bumming out Reed IMO.... that basically, you can't win with metallica... and he should have known that.

metallica could have changed their name for this to further depart themselves from their past in order to increase their chances for this to be viewed objectively, but it still wouldn't have worked. At the end of the day, it's still metallica..... shitting all over your vision.

if it were 4 nobodies with Reed, it would have been much better received IMO.
Or maybe, just maybe......Lou Reed sucks anyway.

·
Banned
580 Posts
It would have been better if they kept the name metallica out of it. I can appreciate it for what it is. Not my thing. AT ALL. But There is an ass for every seat. Maybe if you go into it expecting it to be metallica, then you have another thing coming.

Either way, I appreciate the idea of trying to break out of your shell, but, not like this.

·
I measure things
1,917 Posts
Or maybe, just maybe......Lou Reed sucks anyway.
This. So much this.

I've never liked Lou Reed's music. Granted, the only complete song of his that I've ever heard was "Take a Walk on the Wild Side" or whatever the name of the song is. But I've never liked his music.

This "project" just completely depressed me. I just miss the "good ole Metallica" of the 80's - the stuff I grew up on. I didn't listen to Metallica because they were "artists" - I listened to them because, at the time, they played the heaviest stuff I'd heard and I loved it. Then when they started changing in the 90's/2000's I wavered from them quite a bit. For Lars to be saying fans are narrow-minded (or whatever he said) - no, we really aren't. We fell in love with what you were and we were flexible with your experimenting with Load/Reload (but not St. Anger - Lord no). But "Lulu" just went too far. If you continue with your snobbish "artist" attitude, I'll stop buying your material - simple as that. Do I think he cares if people stop buying their CD's? No, he's got enough money.

Just stop being a pretentious snob, Lars. That's all I ask.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Nah, he was in the Velvet Underground, which means he is already familiar with crushing failure.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
If I listened to that album not knowing Lou Reed or Metallica made it, I would still have called it the worst thing I've heard.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts