Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Nobody Has Seen Me Lately
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My guitar player's parents just took delivery of the first Chevy Volt in Ct. last month.
We heard the fire sirens going off at 4 am this morning. Turns out it was Brett's parents garage was on fire. So far, the Fire Marshall indicates the fire started in the Volt. Good thing he built a fire wall between the house and the garage or they would have lost the house.

Hybrid Car May Have Sparked Garage Blaze - Connecticut News Story - WFSB Hartford

·
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is more to this story. The car caught fire again yesterday while the Fire Marshals and Insurance Investigators were investigating the initial fire! The Volt seems to be Revolting!

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Oops :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Hey! My Chevy has NEVER burst into flames!

Only burned through a set of fuel injectors in 64,000 miles and rotted out an exhaust pipe after 80,000...

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
[quote="GM's PR spin...]Our engineering experts have inspected the Chevrolet Volt severely damaged in a garage fire in Barkhamsted, CT. We believe the findings indicate the Volt was damaged by the fire, not the cause.

The garage and its contents, including the Volt and a hand-built Suzuki Samurai EV, were heavily damaged in last Thursday's fire.

While the Volt's battery pack sustained damage, it was not extensive enough or of the type that would suggest that it caused the fire. In addition, there is clear evidence based on moderate damage to the cordset and charging system that neither component caused the fire.

The vehicles had been left in the garage for investigators and insurers to review when a second incident occurred earlier today. Smoke was seen coming from the damaged Volt and the fire department responded quickly. We continue to support the department in its investigation, sending our experts back to Connecticut to continue working with fire marshals.

We've spent more than a decade developing the technology which went into Volt. As such, it has a wide range of active and passive safety systems to ensure our customers are protected.

The most important thing to remember is that everyone is safe and fire investigators are working diligently to determine the cause. We'll share more information as it becomes available.[/quote]

Now, forgive me if i'm wrong, but battery engineers aren't exactly fire inspectors. It certainly doesn't look good when the car spontaneously bursts into flames while the fire marshals and insurance inspectors are surveying the damage from the first fire!

I'll wait to see the final report from the fire marshals before jumping to conclusions. ;)

·
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I too am waiting to hear what the cause of the first fire was. I do know that Lithium Ion batteries are a fire hazzard in general when the cell core is exposed to the atmosphere. The recent recall in computer and cell phone batteries springs to mind.

I do know there is a national concern with Firefighters when dealing with these EV cars involved in accidents due to the high voltage. If one of these battery casings is fractured in an accident, they will most certainly catch fire.

Being that I know the owner of this car that may have caused tragic fire, I can attest that he is the most safety consious person I know and a very intellegent individual. Not only is he a firefighter, he is also an electrical engineer and the head of Zoning in Barkhamsted. I am certain he made sure that garage was wired correctly to handle the amperage loads.

Of course GM is going to spin this as much as possible and blame the initial fire on his home-built EV. I have already noticed the local news is not featuring this second incident like the first one. Could it be since GM is now mostly owned by the government that they have asked the press to down-play the second incident? Probable!

One thing that will be determined in the fire investigation is if either of the cars burned from the inside out, or outside in. Doesn't take rocket science to figure that one out so time will tell.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts