Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based off of Tony's idea here: http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum...48837-whats-your-solo-boost-3.html#post643194

Been really wanting to get into building/modding pedals so this was the perfect place to start. Especially since I need some sort of volume boost for my Titan. Though, this will me more of a volume "cut" type of deal. I got 200 tube watts so I think I can spare a db or 2. :D Any sort of volume boost just never really worked on this thing.

So far, my grand total is about $25 from Radio Shack. Though I did toss in some new tips for my soldering iron and I did have a pile of cable at home. And I did buy a coil of 20awg just in case.

Anyway... a pic of the goods. I'll be updating this post as the project continues. I'll most likely have it finished later tonight but we'll see how the beers and the marathon of Arnold Schwarzenegger movies treat me. :D

·
Registered
701 Posts
Nice, dude. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I've modded a few pedals, but have yet to build one. Hopefully I'll get to building one in the near future.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right on. This is nothing special or very complicated but for me, it's a good place to start. :)

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I didn't know you had a titan!

Is Zack still using the Onetics transformers? those amps being based around the SLO circuit have virtually unlimited modding potential however I can't imagine you want to mod an $1800 amp!

I think for my next pedal build (delay or reverb ill do a start to finish build)

I could do some for the treble booster i'm doing but the board is already built up now so it would be more of a wiring thread!

Also if you have access to a laser printer you could get creative with some awesome transfer labelling!

Good luck.

Oh I should just add. This isn't my idea as such. It's based on the Soldano Soundman Eliminator and I didn't draw up that layout either but its the exact same thing.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't really know what he's using but they are huge! :lol: I've thought about modding them but yeah, a little too expensive for me to be dicking around with. :D

I do have a laser printer but it's basically a big paper weight now. For now, I'll just use a good ole sharpie. :D

Didn't get much done on the pedal other than getting all the holes drilled and everything mounted. Will probably finish it this afternoon.

Also, what's a good place to get some pedal kits from? Wouldn't mind taking a whack at a delay.

Some more pics:

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Laser printers can be really awesome for stuff here's something i'm working on now I didn't line it up too well though so I need to sand it back down again and redo it.

As for delays you can get them from loads of places. If you want a full kit BYOC is the best place as you get everything with step by step instructions.

Tonepad has a lot of pcbs but theyre a bitch to work with and the traces lift really easily if you aren't careful.

I'm not sure if Madbean has a delay but their pcbs are awesome.

Delays can be really tricky though and fault finding can be a nightmare.

The one im doing is from 1776 effects because I just love the feature set and options

1776 Effects » Archive » New Multiplex Delay Video

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I finished my "volume" pedal yesterday. Works exactly how I hoped it would thanks to a handful of pm's with Toe-Knee. :cool:

With the cool blue LED. :D Not very bright, though. There were 2 different LEDs with different ratings and I either got the weaker one or the resiters I got for it are just too much. Oh well, the pedal works good for my liking for now. :D

A quick little demo vid:

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
I built a BYOC delay pedal 4 or 5 years ago. It turned out great and only took a couple hours (and I'm pretty terrible with a solder iron).

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I'm glad you've got it all working alright!

What value limiting resistor did you use? I normally find a 2k2 works in most applications.

Is that just a standard or an ultra bright led?

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm glad you've got it all working alright!

What value limiting resistor did you use? I normally find a 2k2 works in most applications.

Is that just a standard or an ultra bright led?
Pretty sure it's just a standard LED. Not a big deal, I can see it when I'm standing directly above it. :lol: And I think I used the 2k2 or whatever was in the schematic you originally posted.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Pretty sure it's just a standard LED. Not a big deal, I can see it when I'm standing directly above it. :lol: And I think I used the 2k2 or whatever was in the schematic you originally posted.
Ahh fair enough. If it starts bugging you try lowering it to 1k8 or just swap it out to a retina burning ultra bright variant

1 - 20 of 20 Posts