Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago, my stepdad picked up a few small amps to try to find something he could crank at a low volume, including a Jet City 20w combo, an Egnater Rebel 30 combo, and this Mesa F-30 head. Long story short, he loves the Egnater and the Jet City, but found the Mesa to be too "modern" and "gainy." So, when I was moving into my place, he hid it in my pile of boxes and I didn't find it until after he left. Thanks, Rick!

Without further ado, my new F-30 short head (isn't it cute?):

With everything else:

So far, I've only been able to run it into the speaker in my Budda combo. It's definitely a dramatically different flavor than my Superdrive; a lot drier, tighter, and a little more "cold" and "punchy." It doesn't "sing" like the Superdrive does on bridge pickup leads and it isn't quite as responsive to volume knob shenanigans, but pulls a very Petrucci-esque vibe with a neck humbucker and roars with a very authoritative modern rhythm tone. It's got a lot of Recto genes definitely, but it smooths out pretty nicely too and the cleans have an absolutely amazing sparkle with the drive low.

It almost sounds more like a 6L6-powered amp than an EL84-driven one, but it's got a lot of balls and some great chime on the cleans. The mids are concentrated a little higher, which is a little unexpected from something that sounds this Recto-y, but it's a really cool sound and very chunky, especially on the slightly Roger-approved Contour channel.

I'm definitely impressed, and thankful. Now, someday I will have to find one of those EVM12L-equipped Thiele cabs, and then the ABY box my stepdad left with the amp will let me blend the two amps to my heart's content! :metal:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What, this thing?

:D

But yeah, I was genuinely surprised, and I owe him one. I thought he had made a mistake or something initially!

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I looove my F-30... glad you finally were able to snag one! The clean channel will actually get to a nice crunchy purr with a bit of gain and a TS in front of it. But i agree, it's definitely more of a "Recto rhythm" type amp than a "singing Mark lead" type.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I'd like to take this opportunity to admit that I thought your Tiny Terror sucked balls, and t's great to see that you have a proper amp now sir. :wub:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
As a proud member of the Mesa-That-Isn't-A-Mark-Recto-Or-Triaxis Club, I warmly welcome you, Josh.

Darren and I collect dues on the second Tuesday of each month.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Man, what a great gift! I remember looking for one for ages before I bought the HT5... Quite hard to find! Hope to try it one day! :D

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
As a proud member of the Mesa-That-Isn't-A-Mark-Recto-Or-Triaxis Club, I warmly welcome you, Josh.
Why was I not informed? :squint:

Darren and I collect dues on the second Tuesday of each month.
n/m

1 - 20 of 38 Posts