Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may remember, I recently bought an 8 string. I also got the Line 6 UX2 interface with it. Well this mourning, out of sheer boredom, plus I haven't recorded anything with the ux2 yet, :lol: I recorded a "Demo" I guess we could call it, of the SC-608, anyways heres the horrible result I got :lol:

MP3 Player SoundClick

Also I used a Solo 100 Head > 4x12 1967 Green 20's> Live 7. Not a very "Advanced" Rig at all but it was the best sounding combo I could get right now :lol:

I know it isn't "In time" And there is no real direction I was ging for either.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok.... So, Any advice? I know I suck pretty much :lol: I think I could probably get the first part into a decnt song if I tried though.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Is this done with PodFarm?

I'm at work at the moment, so i can only listen through crappy headset-headphones, but it sounds a bit weird...like a out-of-tune guitar through a big muff-driven Sunn model T or something.

I dont know if this is what you wanted to achieve or not...if you want more definition, in Podfarm the "boost+EQ" pedal + EQ with low-cut helps a lot.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this done with PodFarm?

I'm at work at the moment, so i can only listen through crappy headset-headphones, but it sounds a bit weird...like a out-of-tune guitar through a big muff-driven Sunn model T or something.

I dont know if this is what you wanted to achieve or not...if you want more definition, in Podfarm the "boost+EQ" pedal + EQ with low-cut helps a lot.
Yes its Pod Farm, and it might be your headphones. MIGHT, :lol: I'm totally new to the PodFarm stuff. I was trying to use the presets but they all sounded way to Bassy to be, (Also through crappy headphones :lol:) And I'll diffinently try the Boost+EQ thing next time I record, or at least mess around with Pod farm :lol:

Also it was just the "Solo 100 Head" distortion, and the '67 Green 20's 4x12 cab options. Again it just sounded better then the rest of the Cabs/Heads that I tryed. (I didn't try all of them though)

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Yeah, all presets are WAY too bassy in Podfarm! Also, most of them have automatically way too much "room" in the Cab settings. It needs a lot of tweaking, and i mean A LOT :lol: ... i ended up using dual-amping for every metal sound, mostly the main amp pretty-bass-less, almost thin sounding, and then adding the Line6 big bottom below, totally scooped. Both boosted with either Tubescramer or the BoostEQ pedal, and EQs before and after the amp/ca sims.

·
Tune It Lower
1,114 Posts
I wouldn't reccomend removing bass from the tone using the "bass" knob on the amp sim. as they generally have a pretty wide shelf to them, so you're taking out frequencies that you might want to keep for the sake of taking out one you do not. Instead, high pass in post with a good parametric EQ. Do not use the L6 one in POD from though, you can't get a very good Q with that either.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
The thing that helps the most with using Line 6 is learning the parametric EQ. Start by cutting around 4k, then cut twice as much around 8K.

For example, if you move -2db @ 4k, then do -4db @ 8k.

Takes a little work to get some good tones from PodFarm/XT stuff if you use their cab sims. I love Spinal Puppet myself but I've never played an 8 string with that amp model.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome thinks guys for the info, I Did get the MXR KFK 10 band with it. would that help playing though that into the Podfarm stuff?

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
Ok.... So, Any advice?
Use an EQ to cut that top end. You have a lot of unuseable fizz happening there. A little mid range will help fortify your tone in a mix if you want to get into that later. I see you like bassy tones. Me too, but remember, in a recording you have a broader range of frequencies that you dont really want to overlap. What I mean is, you dont want the bass guitar freqs to fight for shelf space with your guitar's low end and bass drum. I know this is just a guitar track, but you'll find you can hear more of that guitar when you shelf those freqs correctly. You'll also find that your recording wont sound like a Devourment album ;)

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Everyone starts somewhere. :yesway:

1. Turn the gain WAY THE FUCK DOWN.
2. Tighten up your playing. You might be making mistakes, but you can't even hear them under all that noise.
3. Kick more ass. :metal:

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Everyone starts somewhere. :yesway:

1. Turn the gain WAY THE FUCK DOWN.
2. Tighten up your playing. You might be making mistakes, but you can't even hear them under all that noise.
3. Kick more ass. :metal:
Chris is right. No one records with the gain at 10. 5 or 6 tops really. Your playing needs more definition, but it will come with time. There is a lot of noise and there's not much definition to the sound or the playing, but hey I remember for years I was pretty bad and over time and with practice you get better.

Don't worry so much about your tone or about sharing clips with friends. I know I learned how to play guitar on some pretty bad gear back when I was a kid. Learn some songs exactly like they sound on the original recording, then start building your own pieces. In no time you'll be shredding like crazy :yesway:

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
Don't worry so much about your tone or about sharing clips with friends.
Elaborating more on this point, we're all part of a great community here. Almost all of us have advice or experience to offer too. I look forward to hearing people's clips change over time. :)

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Elaborating more on this point, we're all part of a great community here. Almost all of us have advice or experience to offer too. I look forward to hearing people's clips change over time. :)
Very much this. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Yeah, and I want to clarify I want to hear everyone's music :)

But focus on the playing is my point, not so much the guitar or the tone. I think alot of us can agree that we started on some pretty crappy gear and played on it for a long time and it didn't matter because we were getting better playing all the time.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys. And most of the notes I was playing were actually on the F# and B strings then into the EAD strings :lol:

As for the bassy sound I was actually trying to get something that wasn't soo damn bassy, PodFarms setting were all WAY to damn bassy. I will try to use the distrotions at about 5-6 next time I record.

I have also been trying to find tabs to learn some songs from After the Burial but can't seem to find good ones. Or they are tuned EAEADGBE and E with a 68 isn't very good :lol:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts