Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is an old track I wrote about 7 or 8 years ago for my old band. They were all such lazy bastards that there were a ton of songs I never got to hear with their parts. I wanted something to try out some keys sounds with, so I thought I'd dig this tune out and give it a try.

It's meant to have vocals, so it's a little dry in places.

A quick pre-emptive excuse; this song is massively 'inspired' by Pagan's Mind's Enigmatic Calling, and I clearly had misguided aspirations of my band being some sort of 2nd rate Dream Theater knock off. So, whilst recording this, I stuck in a bit that was intentionally sort of Jordan Rudess-like (tried to replicate one of his sorts of patches), and I did a crap version of the cool outro to Enigmatic Calling.

Matt's doing a re-amp of the rhythm guitars for this, so I'll post that to contrast it once he's done it. This version is the AFX with a rhythm patch of mine and Art Rodriguez's lead patch.

Two fun facts: the rhythm guitars on both sides are almost entirely one take. Well done, Lee. And the solos are the first time I've used hybrid picking. It doesn't stand out hugely, but I'm just trying to work this technique into my playing.

Here's Matt's mix of it. He offered to re-amp the rhythm guitars. I foolishly thought he'd prefer to mix it himself rather than work with the shite I produce, so I sent him all DIs. Turns out he doesn't like unnecessary work. Who'd have thought?! He mixed it anyway. This is what he did with it. Sounds fucking huge.

And now with video:

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Sweet. :metal:

Very DT though.....sooooooooo :lol:

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
JFC Lee that was.:facemelt2:Your in a class above man.

Reactions: Cassidy

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for checking it, dudes. I realise a vocally oriented song without vocals (and perhaps any song by me) is not the most exciting prospect, so much appreciated. :yesway:

Cool, what did you use for drums?
For the most part, it's EZD's Metal Machine (I think). But I monkeyed with some of the kit, added in some X-drums, messed with it in the mixer, and added Slate samples for both the kick and snare.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Well done, I like it. Tight playing! I do indeed like Mattayus' reamped version a bit better. Sounds fatter.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Sorry it's a bit quiet, I'll do a dummy master on it if you like.

What guitar did you use, btw? It was easy to coax a half-decent tone out of it, whatever it was.

Also for anybody wondering, that was a reborn dual rec.
Awesome playing as usual dude, it oozed so much prog my walls are now different heights just to be awkward :yesway:

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well done, I like it. Tight playing! I do indeed like Mattayus' reamped version a bit better. Sounds fatter.
It certainly does. Although Matt's mix sounds way bassier than I'd have thought was desirable on my monitors. That's quite interesting and useful to note.

:eek:

So, when can I buy this?
Nev0r! Dead songs are dead.

Fuck you and your tremendous chops, you sword-swalliowing dung pile. :mad:

this is awesome
Fuck you very much. :wub:

Sorry it's a bit quiet, I'll do a dummy master on it if you like.

What guitar did you use, btw? It was easy to coax a half-decent tone out of it, whatever it was.

Also for anybody wondering, that was a reborn dual rec.
Awesome playing as usual dude, it oozed so much prog my walls are now different heights just to be awkward :yesway:
No problem on my end, homes. It didn't sound quiet to me. I think it's even louder than my one, which I 'mastered' (and by that I mean I stuck Ozone on the master bus).

The guitar was my RG7CT. Mahogany body with a D-Activator bridge.

YT playthrough, plz
Will do. :yesway: But it won't have Matt's awesome re-amping sound, unfortunately. :noway:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
No problem on my end, homes. It didn't sound quiet to me. I think it's even louder than my one, which I 'mastered' (and by that I mean I stuck Ozone on the master bus).

The guitar was my RG7CT. Mahogany body with a D-Activator bridge.
Really? :scratch: It's considerably quieter on your soundcloud.

I do fucking love D-Activators.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Mine's not mastered though. Shove mine through Ozone, see how much it shits the bed

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For those bored enough to want to watch, here's a 'playthrough', as the kids call it now. Did this in a rush last night, and the last lead break's video got corrupted. I also embarrassingly couldn't remember how to play all of it, so there's a couple of weird bits on the left side (that's the side that was captured with the video).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts