Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used? or maybe Ugly.

I wonder what it feels like to own a guitar that's actually new? I've owned at least 30 over the years, and if memory serves, only one of them was actually new. But I digress.

Scored this on the cheap from a fella over at SS.org that I've done business with before, it seems we share some tastes. I have no idea what model it is, but I'm fairly sure that it's a very early LTD (SN stamped on the fretboard, sub-50k, which is saying something for a Korean (I assume it's Korean) guitar. Maybe an M-II or LTD Mirage, but the only LTD M-IIs I've seen say M-II on the Headstock. Maybe if ESP kept better track of everything they've made, and if the forum wasn't god-awful. But, I digress again.

Right after I got it, I stripped the clear off the neck and applied Boiled Linseed oil, as I do with all my axes, and I'll continue to re-apply oil over the next few days. Play it a while, 1000-grit sand, apply oil, repeat. The previous owner stripped all the finish off with the intent to refinish, decided he liked it the way it was, and left it. I added the scorch marks myself with a blowtorch. More burning will take place in a week or so, when I disassemble it to do the blood-drip paintwork to it. I might even try to find a way to use my own blood for it instead of paint.

The verdict? It's an amazing player. If you blind-folded me and put this in my hands next to my Mirage Custom... I'd probably be able to tell the difference, but only because of the things like neck binding and Bolt-on vs Neck-thru, but It's a matter of inches versus a matter of miles. It's nice and weighty, and quite resonant, though I'm not exactly sure what it's made of. Maybe Basswood, maybe Alder. Frets are great, no pokeys or divots or general rough spots. Real Abalone dot inlays, though the LTD on the 12th is plastic instead of the Abalone that both my ESPs had.

Anyway, on to the pics (Though honestly it might not deserve them)!

also, the ol' bedroom practice rig, where this guitar will be spending most of its time. Crate GX-15 and a Modded Boss HM-2.

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also if anyone has any idea or can point me in a direction where I can find any more info on these, that would be pretty ace, but not really something I'm terribly worried about. I just wish ESP had as rabid a fanbase as Ibanez, Jackson, Kramer, and all those other 80's shred guitars have.

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I figured. Might even be a veneer on a multi-piece body, as a top layer of something flaked off when I torched it.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
that actually looks pretty cool although I would've left the trem cavity alone. Was it like that already or did you do that?

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't do the cavity, was like that when I got it.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
If it didn't have a neck pickup, I would say you bought it from Jeff. :lol:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Looks like one of the really early ltds, they did an ESP m-II that was basswood with just an ltd inlay like that instead of model #

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I actually dig that too. :lol:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I added the scorch marks myself with a blowtorch. More burning will take place in a week or so, when I disassemble it to do the blood-drip paintwork to it. I might even try to find a way to use my own blood for it instead of paint.
:ugh:

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Might. As in, if during the course of my day I get maimed or something. I'm long past my Emo-kid cutting phase. That was 10 years ago, get with the times :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
^ Yeah, that won't work too well. When it dries and congeals it turns brown and nasty and crusty.

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Next best thing to using it for a coaster?
yeah, funny story. My girlfriend is a big Meshuggah fan, and I got it on Century Media's Clearance blowout for $1.50. I haven't even listened to it.

I also filled up my water bottle yesterday, and since there was water on the outside of the bottle, I put the bottle on the CD instead of on the Windowsill :agreed:

As for the painting... I have a friend who's super into horror stuff, makes nop-notch replica horror masks and whatnot, and he did a splatter on one of his guitars with red spraypaint sprayed into a cup and splattered on, jackson pollack style. This will be more of a pour, so the paint runs down the face. Think spraypaint would be too viscous for that? I might use cheap nail polish, as well.

also, Josh, I know that :lol: At this point, what on the guitar isn't at least 2 of those things?

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
...unless you open the grain of the wood first, somehow.

Heh. Open a vein, open the grain... That sounds like a really bad/possibly tongue-in-cheek emo song. :lol:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts