Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of them sitting on my bench, totally unused. I got them in a guitar I traded for, but hated them. They have one sound, which, admittedly, they do better than basically any other pickup on the market, but really? $250+? Why in the hell do people (at least on ss.org) love this pickup so damned much? Is it completely because all the guitarists they hero-worship (Meshuggah, Abasi, Bulb) use them? If that's the case, that's pretty sad, but I'm having trouble coming up with any other reasons.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Dude are you on drugs? I love the m7. It's a goddamn great pickup for modern thrash sounds :lol:

But then, I play qotsa and drew music, so take that with a salt lick of salt :lol:

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know. Does alcohol count? I've been drinking straight from a bottle of Ezra Brooks most of the night. I just looked over and realized it's nearly half-empty.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4B1 Safari/419.3)

Dont give anything to Darren or Naren. Neither will like it, send to me and I'll dispose of it.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
People buy them because, like you said yourself, if you want that kind of sound, they do it better than anything else. I agree that the price is kind of steep, though. I eventually bit the bullet and got one for my 8-string, and I'm glad I did (I say this as someone who is trying to avoid sounding like Meshuggah or Bulb), but the price has me reluctant to outfit more of my guitars with them.

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
I didn't like the M7 when I got mine, though to me it sounded WAY different than what everyone else was getting out of it (Mine sounded muddy and DEEP, rather than rusty razer blades in a coffee can... I suppose that's better). But it was just WAY too hot of a pickup for my tastes. It wasn't a BAD pickup, but the Nailbomb that replaced it was a better fit to my style.

·
Registered
374 Posts
i tried it in my rg7680 and didn't like it much at all. just like the nailbomb and painkiller i've also tried...

it may have worked in a different guitar, but i dig the blaze custom a lot better for my 7680

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
The set I played in Matt Gearwho...uh, Garcia's Carvin were, quite simply, the best sounding super-high output pickups I've ever heard. While not my preference, if you want that sound, they make the X2N and Invader sound like total crap.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
They don't produce the tone you're going for so you don't like them... pretty straight forward. Though if you're looking for a super hot pup they're amazing. Not really what I look for either but they do sound great in the right application.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4B1 Safari/419.3)

Dont give anything to Darren or Naren. Neither will like it, send to me and I'll dispose of it.
Dont send them To Mehtab - send them to me :scream:

·
Registered
580 Posts
The set I played in Matt Gearwho...uh, Garcia's Carvin were, quite simply, the best sounding super-high output pickups I've ever heard. While not my preference, if you want that sound, they make the X2N and Invader sound like total crap.
Really.....:spock: Noted.....:yesway:

·
AVH Guitar Repair
327 Posts
As the others have said, for tightness and clarity with dry high gain, not many pickups can compete..I've been using both the M7 & M8 for good 5 years now and have been very pleased with them sound-wise anyways...my main complaints have been the lack of adjustable poles, funky look, and the high price.

Now that I have my new winding machine and materials, one of my new goals along with doing rewinds in my new shop, will be working on a few new designs specifically for the 8 string, and to take an M8, deconstruct it, copy it sonically, and make the changes I feel it needs for a bit cheaper. Part of the thing with the M-series is the use of unusual coil wire - it isn't your standard 42/43ga. Formvar or Plain Enamel, and that is where a small part of recipe is, along with how many wraps and not scatter-wound.

Anyone can set whatever price they want for a product. If it's promoted properly and enough buzz is created about it, it will sell, and people will pay what is asked - for that exclusivity. But damn it better deliver, and Johan's M's do that in spades, for that sound.

I think it could be better. ;)

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
This. It's not really what I'm going for, but they are the only super hot pickups that I've played that have dynamics, warmth, and tone. It's like having EMG output, but without EMG midrange fizz. Lundgren basically fixed every complaint I have with the Duncan Custom.

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thread revival!

I've decided that the EMGs in my Agile are too muddy after doing some actual recording with it. I'm going to install the M7s. Let's see if my opinion can be changed slightly!

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Love mine, have it in an rg2127x, and I'm a thrash/death metal guy. Awesme for rhythm, but a bit too ice picky for lead stuff, still, fantastic pickup in the right guitar. Works well in basswood as well.

·
EMERRRRRRRY!
720 Posts
Thread revival!

I've decided that the EMGs in my Agile are too muddy after doing some actual recording with it. I'm going to install the M7s. Let's see if my opinion can be changed slightly!
Did you have a full set or just a bridge M7? I wish I had kept my set honestly, they would have been sweet to test out in a few 7's I have since the Carvin. If you don't dig them get in touch, my parents don't live far from Wynnewood. :D

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
You've been sitting on pickups you hate that are worth 200$/ea for 5 months? :lol: If i had pickups i'd hate that were worth such cash, i'd have sold them a long time ago.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts