Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried getting any decent bass tones out of Kemper and Bias and I fail to get a good lowend that I hear on other recordings I compare to.
Even with Waves MaxxBass cranked to death I cannot get a decent low-end with either Kemper or Bias no matter what I do!!!!

Are there any good bass dedicated VSTs that doesn't cost a fortune??? I need to be careful to buy new shit because I've spent too much money on useless plugins and stuff the last couple of years...

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Maybe another problem is that I suck ass at mixing no matter how many stupid online tutorials I try to learn from. I'm soon giving up on mixing altogether because it's driving me nuts and my girlfriend hates that I'm constantly running around day after day checking shitty mixes in all rooms at home

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Ok, two thoughts. Three actually.

1) Waves MaxxBass is really more of a mastering plugin, intended to target the bass registers of a full mix, than it is a bass mixing tool. I wouldn't use it on bass guitar as part of my normal workflow.
2) As far as bass VSTs go, the TSE BOD rules - its their take on a Sansamp.
3) All that said, maybe the better approach here is the metal "bi-amped" approach, where you record your bass as a DI, duplicate the audio, and then... A). Low-pass one track at around 250-400hz (adjust to taste), and then SMASH it with an aggressive compressor/limiter to make it essentially steady state dynamicless bass frequencies, and 2) high pass the other track, likely at 600hz or so but potentially as low as the low-pass cutoff on your other track (the conventional approach is probably in the ballpark of a 250hz low-pass and 600hz high pass to leave a hole in the lower mids), and apply some sort of gain/amp simulation here to both give it some presence and bite in the mix, but also tame the dynamics a little, and then blend the two tracks to taste. This gives you a bass tone with a very stable low end, but also plenty of attack and punch to the high end. Ola et all generally go with really ugly thrashy distortion for the high end track to make it gel in with distorted rhythm guitars, but honestly even a lightly gritty tone can sound pretty awesome. Then EQ the whole thing to taste - I'll generally roll off over, oh, 1.8khz or so, but whatever works, really.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
Peter North complaining about having a small dick

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Serious question here.

Dont you know anyone that has a Studio? If so why dont you go there and try to see if they will allow you to learn from them. Work for free for your learning, Mic Guitars, Mics Drums do whatever it takes to see how its all done on a Pro environment.. See how its all done by Professionals, absorb knowledge even if they type of Music is not the same.

You are a valuable asset in a Studio im pretty about that, you can play 3 instruments dude, and well... so try it ;)

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok, two thoughts. Three actually.

1) Waves MaxxBass is really more of a mastering plugin, intended to target the bass registers of a full mix, than it is a bass mixing tool. I wouldn't use it on bass guitar as part of my normal workflow.
2) As far as bass VSTs go, the TSE BOD rules - its their take on a Sansamp.
3) All that said, maybe the better approach here is the metal "bi-amped" approach, where you record your bass as a DI, duplicate the audio, and then... A). Low-pass one track at around 250-400hz (adjust to taste), and then SMASH it with an aggressive compressor/limiter to make it essentially steady state dynamicless bass frequencies, and 2) high pass the other track, likely at 600hz or so but potentially as low as the low-pass cutoff on your other track (the conventional approach is probably in the ballpark of a 250hz low-pass and 600hz high pass to leave a hole in the lower mids), and apply some sort of gain/amp simulation here to both give it some presence and bite in the mix, but also tame the dynamics a little, and then blend the two tracks to taste. This gives you a bass tone with a very stable low end, but also plenty of attack and punch to the high end. Ola et all generally go with really ugly thrashy distortion for the high end track to make it gel in with distorted rhythm guitars, but honestly even a lightly gritty tone can sound pretty awesome. Then EQ the whole thing to taste - I'll generally roll off over, oh, 1.8khz or so, but whatever works, really.
1. Ok... I'm sure I've seen some people using MaxxBass for bass on forums an online tutorials about bass guitar...

2. I will look it up... (update; I wont, once I read part 3. I'm not interested in the standard "Glenn Fricker" split channel bass tone, sorry!)

3. I DONT want distorted bass... Thats for the djent kids and shit. None of the bands I reference to have distorted bass (Grave Digger, Running Wild, Blind Guardian etc etc)

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Serious question here.

Dont you know anyone that has a Studio? If so why dont you go there and try to see if they will allow you to learn from them. Work for free for your learning, Mic Guitars, Mics Drums do whatever it takes to see how its all done on a Pro environment.. See how its all done by Professionals, absorb knowledge even if they type of Music is not the same.

You are a valuable asset in a Studio im pretty about that, you can play 3 instruments dude, and well... so try it ;)
Nope I dont know anybody who has a studio

There's a couple of studios in a nearby larger town but I doubt they want me around looking all dorky

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Nope I dont know anybody who has a studio

There's a couple of studios in a nearby larger town but I doubt they want me around looking all dorky
Studios don't really care about what you look like unless they're commercial. Music is a bunch of fucking weirdos living their dreams. It really wouldn't hurt you to try and intern so you could learn some new things about music. It might not be the music you want to work on but the things you learn can be applied to the music you love.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
But the album I'm working on now (Rocka Rollas - Celtic Kings) needs to be released in februaty and I wont have time for being in studio it wont help me at all :(

Otherwise I'll have to post-pone the release EVNE MORE.

You know, this album was supposed to be released in 2014, and I'm still not satisfied :lol:
At least the fans got another decent album in the meantime (Rocka Rollas - Pagan Ritual) but that album also has shitty ass mixing just like everything else I've ever releasd

But this album REALLY needs to sound good

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Serious question here.

Also, the only decent studio around here I know doesn't even make any recordings I like the production on.

There's also Per Nilsson. I actually met him the other day (rehearsing at the same place).
Nice guy to talk to and world-class guitar player but his mixes aren't really my cup of tea and wouldn't fit my own bands.

Another studio has the same problem.

Nobody mixes like I want to. All are super slick and modern sounding which I'm not interested in at all. I want late-80s mid-90s type of sound.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
buy a DI box, UAD apollo or a better bass. idk why you're using maxbass when Rbass exists
1. I have a Kemper, I'm using that as a DI-box. So I don't know why that would help. I do have a couple of Radial J48s as well, which would probably rank as some of the best DI boxes. I have compared the sound to Kemper DI and there's almost no difference at all. I have Palmer PAN 02 as well which has a slightly different "tone". Less highs, sounds a little rounder basically.
There's barely any difference in Kemper/Radial/TASCAM interface instrument intput. But the Palmer is different for sure.

2. Buying an expensive interface wont help with my mixing.

3. Sure, I want another bass because I want a 5-stringer, but I don't know what would be wrong with my current bass. I have EMG J/B pickups in it.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
1. I have a Kemper, I'm using that as a DI-box. So I don't know why that would help. I do have a couple of Radial J48s as well, which would probably rank as some of the best DI boxes. I have compared the sound to Kemper DI and there's almost no difference at all. I have Palmer PAN 02 as well which has a slightly different "tone". Less highs, sounds a little rounder basically.
There's barely any difference in Kemper/Radial/TASCAM interface instrument intput. But the Palmer is different for sure.

2. Buying an expensive interface wont help with my mixing.

3. Sure, I want another bass because I want a 5-stringer, but I don't know what would be wrong with my current bass. I have EMG J/B pickups in it.
If the issue isnt you gear, it definitely isnt your mixing. If you gear is great then you should be able to plug it in and sound great off the bat. If the issue isnt you gear then the issue is you. Stop thinking so hard about it because that will only make it worse. Put it on the back burner for a while if you really have too and sleep on it.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What?? There's absolutely nothing wrong with my playing skills :nuts:

The problem is my MIXING SKILLS. They are sub-par.

There's nothing about mixing that is just "plug it in and sound great off the bat".

If so, I could just use the DI with nothing on it. But reality is = that's not gonna make a good bass tone, is it? It's gonna be mid-rangey and flubby.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
What?? There's absolutely nothing wrong with my playing skills :nuts:

The problem is my MIXING SKILLS. They are sub-par.

There's nothing about mixing that is just "plug it in and sound great off the bat".

If so, I could just use the DI with nothing on it. But reality is = that's not gonna make a good bass tone, is it? It's gonna be mid-rangey and flubby.
if you really feel that way go talk to an engineer from nashville because theyll tell you that if you need mixing to sound great the problem is you.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Screw nashvile country shit. Of course a straight DI could work in a country music situation.

THIS IS ABOUT METAL, right???

Seriously. Answer this question: would this sound this good WITHOUT any processing as you are saying?

I REALLY dont buy into that "problem is you" because:

1. I PLAY BASS WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. I play bass well
3. Again = there's nothing wrong with my bass playing

So please stop going on about that. It's not helping anybody!!!

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Screw nashvile country shit. Of course a straight DI could work in a country music situation.

THIS IS ABOUT METAL, right???

Seriously. Answer this question: would this sound this good WITHOUT any processing as you are saying?

I REALLY dont buy into that "problem is you" because:

1. I PLAY BASS WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. I play bass well
3. Again = there's nothing wrong with my bass playing

So please stop going on about that. It's not helping anybody!!!
nashville isn't just about country. It's the center of music. If you can't get the tones you want with the gear you have and you think you're playing is perfect then your gear isn't doing its job. If you have to do a lot of music to get the tone you want then your gear isn't doing its job. Why does everyone hate on country music yet those musicians are people you can hand a chord chart to and perform miracles in one take yet if you handed a metal musician something that isn't metal they wouldn't know what to do? Get your ass outside of your bedroom and learn.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have NO interest in country music. Stop pretending it's something divine about it. It's just another stupid genre. Just like metal is a stupid genre. Most music is stupid, and waste of time.
One day we'll all die and why not try to have some fun until then?
I dont wanna waste my time with stupid country shit or anything else I'm NOT INTERESTED IN.
So stop trying to make me.

And you didn't answer my question in the post above. Answer it now

1 - 20 of 60 Posts