Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For 3.5 years, she was Vegan. Her physical and mental health dwindled significantly....until she returned to being an omnivore which was a painful experience for her. I'm an omnivore myself, but I do highly respect what others choose to ingest for their own being. For her case, it looks like her body could just not deal with being Vegan...

It's a pretty long read, but it's a really really good read.

A Vegan No More | Voracious

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Stupid Motorola Backflip: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.0.13.37.MB300.ATT.en.US Flex/P014) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

I respect what others choose for themselves as well, but this doesn't surprise me. I know so many vegetarians/vegans who have health problems because of their diet. Most of them won't admit there are problems. I can sympathize with their philosophy, but unfortunately in their cases, the human body is designed for a diet that includes animal proteins.

·
18,790 Posts
There are many species of animal that hunt and kill for their own food, we're the only species that feels guilty about it.

People think that human interference is messing with natural selection, but we're just as natural as the rest of the planet, so our influence is perfectly normal, just as a beaver damming a river is.

That said, whatever someone wants to eat or wants to not eat is their own business, and it sucks that this person couldn't handle the diet she chose.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
A friend of ours was vegan for years, and was very healthy doing so. After their first child was born, all of a sudden she started having some health problems, and eventually had severe anemia. Nothing she tried worked, and finally she had no choice but to go back to eating meat, and she's been fine ever since.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
My aunt has been vegan for twenty years and she is starting to have all sorts of health problems now.

I wouldn't say I feel bad for the lady in the OP, the human body is designed to survive off meat. If people want to be vegan for theological reasons, thats commendable in some respects, but they have to accept the consequences to their health.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
With agencies like PETA and the like profiting from their anti-meat campaigns, it's no surprise that a lot of misguided people choose to alter their diet based on what they believe to be true.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Why do humans think we can simply ignore millions of years of evolution? Compared to our ancestors, **** sapien sapiens are tall, lean, and more perfectly upright, with extremely efficient cardiovascular systems adapted to pursuing game over long distances on open plains. We require animal proteins in our diet. I'm not going to feel guilty about being born a certain way, nor should I have to.

Every vegan I have ever know has been some wispy, frail thing that is constantly getting ill. Many also try to make arguments that most primates eat shoots, leaves, and berries, but guess what? They evolved along different lines than us. I'm not going to eat like a gorilla, because I'm not a gorilla.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Why do humans think we can simply ignore millions of years of evolution? Compared to our ancestors, **** sapien sapiens are tall, lean, and more perfectly upright, with extremely efficient cardiovascular systems adapted to pursuing game over long distances on open plains. We require animal proteins in our diet. I'm not going to feel guilty about being born a certain way, nor should I have to.

Every vegan I have ever know has been some wispy, frail thing that is constantly getting ill. Many also try to make arguments that most primates eat shoots, leaves, and berries, but guess what? They evolved along different lines than us. I'm not going to eat like a gorilla, because I'm not a gorilla.

You don't see many Christian vegans, that is probably because they realize that its stupid to go against the way god "designed them".When you become a vegan you are pretty much disregarding millions of years of natural selection and saying I AM GREATER THAN EVOLUTION.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Stupid Motorola Backflip: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.0.13.37.MB300.ATT.en.US Flex/P014) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

^And they blatantly ignore that most, if not all, of those primates eat insects, and therefore, have a diet that contains animal proteins. Oh, and I can't remember my source on this, so I won't present it as fact, but I read chimpanzees troops will actually go to war over territory. They will fight to the death and cannibalize the dead. So, trying to justify a vegan diet by drawing parallels to primate diets is a bad idea.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think some of you might miss a point. While I find pretty stupid to avoid meat as a vegetarian because MEAT IS MURDER OMG, I do understand and agree with vegetarian who boycot meat because of the way meat is produced. "Years of evolution" as you put it, should make us know better than park one swine with all its pups in 1 square meter just so every random guy can have meat twice a day for cheap. I'm not even talking about the huge pollution caused by the pee and poo of those factories (see for example the alguae problem due to swine factories in western France). Meat is not needed everyday, it's even unhealthy to eat more than once a day.

All in all, even if I know that we are omnivores, I think it gives us no right to treat animals -even the ones we breed for food- like a random potato.

PS: I am neither vegan or vegetarian and actually enjoy a nice piece of meat from times to times, but I prefer to limit my meat consumption to what I feel necessary for me.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts

I know exactly what you mean. Sadly, I can't afford all organic, free-range meat and eggs so I don't mention anything about it. Hypocrisy and all...

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
There are plenty of options for free-range meats on the market. If you can't afford them, and can only afford the cheaper processed meats, guess why? The resource-to-population ratio is tipped to high, and the planet can't really support it.

Perhaps its Darwinian that some folks choose to be vegetarians, so that the rest of us can be healthy?

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts

Lol maybe it's just a local thing, but I cannot and will not pay $8 for a pound of ground beef.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
I do not feel sorry for this lady at all. She chose to break the laws of nature, and nature is fucking her in the ass.

·
Volvo Mis-Enthusiast
800 Posts
:shrug: I do it because I hate plants.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Man did not climb to the top of the food chain to live on vegetables.

I'm sick of all these fad diets and vegans and vegetarians that act like one food is an absolute evil. It's all about moderation.

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
There are many species of animal that hunt and kill for their own food, we're the only species that feels guilty about it.
As a born & bred southern MAN-ahhhh with a huge penchant for BBQ, I think I'm the furthest away from ever feeling guilt.

Mmmmm.....brisket. :drool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts