Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today an old drummer buddy of mine said we should jam. I said alright, but I have no cab. Due to his sheer awesomeness he had a Mesa 2x12 at his house. I went down and we played at really loud volumes. The amp sounded like feces though. It was way too bassy and didn't have that super awesome roar I expected it to. The clean channel and vintage channels sounded pretty awesome though. Anyways, I was wondering if you guys had some EQ ideas to fuck around with. Also the tubes were glowing very faintly, does this mean I need new tubes? No crackling or volume changes. I'll probably buy this 2x12 off him within the week and pick up a TS or Maxon 808.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Turn the bass knob down (to almost nothing if you need to.) Tweak mids and treble to taste and be careful with the presence knob. A TS of some kind will help as well - volume cranked, drive at zero, tone to taste.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it better to keep all the knobs on the lower end of things with Mesa's or more pushed? Would a vader cab be tighter and less bassy?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Is it better to keep all the knobs on the lower end of things with Mesa's or more pushed? Would a vader cab be tighter and less bassy?
No idea about the cab. Put the knobs where the amp sounds good, not in any particular pattern.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
yeah, pay no attention to the numbers on mesa knobs. On my DC-5, I keep the bass a hair away from off. It still has a ton of low end roar and richness. On Mesas, the bass knob isn't so much a bass knob as it is a muddiness/loose knob

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
My F-30 has the bass knob pretty much off 100% of the time on the gain channel.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
I used to gig with singles and triples (never with a dual, though) and in both instances I had the bass almost off. Mesa knobs are odd, the tiniest tweak affects how the others behave. I ended up settling for values around these:

Gain : 4
Bass: 0.5
Mids: 7
Treble: 6
Presence god knows, probably around 4.5 to lose some of the fizz from all those mids. Tubescreamer in front, gain at .5, tone at 6, volume at 9.

Thing could cut through anything, sounds amazing too.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I went down and we played at really loud volumes. The amp sounded like feces though. It was way too bassy and didn't have that super awesome roar I expected it to.
Mesas take some getting used to... Here are my current Channel 4 Modern settings, FWIW. You'll probably want more gain.

Master: 12 o'clock
Presence 1 o'clock
Bass 9 o'clock
Mids: 11 o'clock
Treble 1 o'clock
Gain 1 o'clock

Admittedly, this is for recording... Live, I'd probably move the midrange up to at least 12-1, and maybe back off the gain a hair. Anyway, though, you get the picture - spot the odd man out. Modern mode puts out a fuckton of bass as it is, you really don't want to set the bass knob like it's a Marshall (unless, as you've sort of found, you're in Vintage mode, where it works a little more "normally")

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Not much to add, other than RTFM. Mesa manuals are actually extraordinarily helpful, and they help you wrap your mind around the completely foreign EQ stack, where everything effects everything else. Plus, Rectos have three modes per channel, which means every knob must encompass the full range required by ever mode. Turning the bass up to noon on Vintage mode works great, but in Modern, where tons of low mids are dumped into the signal by the preamp, you absolutely have to keep it below 10:00.

·
Read Only
1,374 Posts
Not much to add, other than RTFM. Mesa manuals are actually extraordinarily helpful, and they help you wrap your mind around the completely foreign EQ stack, where everything effects everything else. Plus, Rectos have three modes per channel, which means every knob must encompass the full range required by ever mode. Turning the bass up to noon on Vintage mode works great, but in Modern, where tons of low mids are dumped into the signal by the preamp, you absolutely have to keep it below 10:00.
noodles is a wise man.

·
Registered
371 Posts
It sounds like this was the first time you used this 2X12 and that you haven't used the Dual Rectifier much yet. Be patient, it's an awesome amp and it'll sound great once you dial it in to your liking. Your amp might sound great by itself but not as great while playing with a band. It takes time to dial in a tone that will work.

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
Oddly enough, I had my Dual Rec dialed in about 10-minutes after I got a chance to crank it up. I find starting in the noon position with each knob and tweaking in increments from there helps a good bit. Also, easy on the treble control as it adds gain, so be sure to tweak presence/treble/gain together to get a more balanced and less fizzy high end.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
It sounds like this was the first time you used this 2X12 and that you haven't used the Dual Rectifier much yet. Be patient, it's an awesome amp and it'll sound great once you dial it in to your liking. Your amp might sound great by itself but not as great while playing with a band. It takes time to dial in a tone that will work.
Actually, Rectos have the opposite problem: they tend to not sound all that great by themselves, but really come to life in a band setting. To me, Rectos have never been that "OMG go into the store, strike a power chord, and bask in the glory" variety of amp, but I've seen plenty of that sort of amp get buried live by a Recto in a two guitar band.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, I've actually read the manual once all the way through. I guess I didn't soak enough information up. I'll read it again and I'll start trying out settings you guys suggested later during the week.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Rectos are one amp that sound surprisingly good with every knob on half :)

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
This is the crucial piece of advice I was looking for, thank you Budda! :D
Though based on your initial comment, I guarantee you you're going to want to turn the bass down from there. :lol: Half works for vintage or raw, but Modern has some SERIOUS low end balls.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Though based on your initial comment, I guarantee you you're going to want to turn the bass down from there. :lol: Half works for vintage or raw, but Modern has some SERIOUS low end balls.
What D said. However, if you have a guitar that lacks balls and you put the amp in modern.. well, "found 'em" applies here :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts