Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 70 year old aunt gets a Trojan on her computer, and makes a comment about it on FB.
One of her "friends", an ex-AT&T guy who apparently now does computer work in his spare time, says "you just need to do a system restore and it gets rid of it".
I did a quick Google of this particular Trojan, and some variants are pretty serious, including some with rootkits. A System Restore isn't going to do shit.
Then, when I politely caution that the computer should be brought in somewhere to be checked out because a system restore might not completely fix the problem, he criticizes me, and says "4 happy customers say otherwise".
I then fought the urge to say I've yet to speak to an AT&T person that has a fucking clue, and let it go. But it kinda pissed me off. I'm just trying to help, and urging caution. Without either of us seeing the computer (I'm in IL, she's in SC) there's no way to 100% know what the solution is. Giving people 100% guaranteed solutions without looking at the computer is retarded.

Rant over, I feel significantly better. :lol:

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
I love it when people pull stuff like that with me... Fucking cunts. If they're going to be douchey, I will too. "I've got a list of certifications longer than your full name that say you're wrong." Bonus points if you can work it in while speaking to a manager :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love it when people pull stuff like that with me... Fucking cunts. If they're going to be douchey, I will too. "I've got a list of certifications longer than your full name that say you're wrong." Bonus points if you can work it in while speaking to a manager :lol:
I was being polite, because it was a post started by my aunt, and I didn't want to start a family shit storm. But yeah I could have been a bigger dick about it.

Seriously, what sort of half-wit says that without a doubt all you have to do is a system restore and it'll be gone, without even having looked at the computer? And does this clown not realize malware writers figured out the system restore trick about 10 years ago, and thus infect that too?

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Wirelessly posted (boobies)

This kind of thing makes me rage like you wouldn't believe.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
Meh. I don't like using system restore if I can help it. It sounds like you're outclassed, though. Four people can't be wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
At least you have some credentials you can flash (not that it would do any good with this guy.) I'm good with computers and while I don't know a lot about coding or networking, I'm at least good with upkeep and common household. But I don't have any work or training experience that would prove it. I hate when I see some idiot giving someone terrible computer advice because he worked comcast help desk or used to work for Jim Bob's AAA Computer and Stereo Repair Shop.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Wirelessly posted (boobies)

Delete the system32 folder IMO :2c:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
At least you have some credentials you can flash (not that it would do any good with this guy.) I'm good with computers and while I don't know a lot about coding or networking, I'm at least good with upkeep and common household. But I don't have any work or training experience that would prove it. I hate when I see some idiot giving someone terrible computer advice because he worked comcast help desk or used to work for Jim Bob's AAA Computer and Stereo Repair Shop.
With Internet morons, it doesn't matter what credentials someone else has.....they're still right, because its the Internet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts