Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So our gc is slashing prices on mesa products to move them, and as these are half price for the most part I figured I would pick one up. Now this is where I'm at a standstill with my self I have a few options and I can't decide so.....What say you mg.org community shall I forge on the dual rec, the roadster, the trirec, or the mark v?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
My 2c:

Mark V: Awesome amp, as long as you can consistently throw some volume at it. Kind of nutless down low, but otherwise IMO the best sounding of the bunch.

Roadster: Super versatile, sounds a little better down low than the Mark, but a bit dark. Mine sounded like it had a blanket over the cab unless I could push it, Drew's doesn't have that problem. More of a rock amp than a metal amp, but still awesome.

Rectos: Everyone in Division will say they're the best. They're a staple of live metal bands for a reason. :metal:

Also consider: The Stiletto or a Triaxis.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't go wrong with any of them. I'd rank them this way: roadster, mk5, tri rec, dual rec.
Roadster being the best or the dual rec? This is gonna be my first time getting a mesa I'm stoked but also worried I'll end up with buyer's remorse if I don't get the right amp. Thanks for the replies by the way guys.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Roadster being the best or the dual rec? This is gonna be my first time getting a mesa I'm stoked but also worried I'll end up with buyer's remorse if I don't get the right amp. Thanks for the replies by the way guys.
What type of tone are you looking for/what type of music do you play?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 2c:

Mark V: Awesome amp, as long as you can consistently throw some volume at it. Kind of nutless down low, but otherwise IMO the best sounding of the bunch.

Roadster: Super versatile, sounds a little better down low than the Mark, but a bit dark. Mine sounded like it had a blanket over the cab unless I could push it, Drew's doesn't have that problem. More of a rock amp than a metal amp, but still awesome.

Rectos: Everyone in Division will say they're the best. They're a staple of live metal bands for a reason. :metal:

Also consider: The Stiletto or a Triaxis.
Thanks for the info. I didn't see a stiletto or a triaxis while I was at gc but who knows they may have them hidden away somewhere. I'm leaning more towards the trirec or the mark v I just wanted to get an idea of what everyone else thought.

What type of tone are you looking for/what type of music do you play?
I play a lot of thrash type stuff I really dig that old school thrash tone (anthrax,slayer,testament bands along these lines). Other than that I don't really know how to say what I'm looking for. ( I hope this helps)

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I currently own the road king, I have owned a tri rec and a tri ax. I have recorded duals, and played through a roadster.

The rk is the ultimate recto, but if that's not available the next best thing is the roadster. It's not as aggressive as the tri rec, but much more versatile. The tri is much better than the dual - it has a better clean and is more Agressive on the dirty side. From what I've heard, The mk5 is an awesome amp, but a totally different sound for the recto series. Note - I don't have personal first hand experience with the mark 5.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I play a lot of thrash type stuff I really dig that old school thrash tone (anthrax,slayer,testament bands along these lines). Other than that I don't really know how to say what I'm looking for. ( I hope this helps)
IMO, you won't get that tone out of a Roadster. The Roadster is a fucking awesome, super versatile amp, but it doesn't do any of the above.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Doesn't one guitarist in Death Angel use a Mark V?

I say a regular Dual or Triple or the Mark.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
From what you've said, I'd say the Mk V is gonna be best for you. Personally I prefer the Triple Recto's though. The Roadking confuses the fuck out of me, and the Roadster didn't sound quite as good, nor did the Dual (but I certainly wouldn't say no to owning a Dual Rec, as they kick ass too).

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
My ex-lead guitarist had a mkV and we play fairly thrashy stuff. It absolutely slays for that. Really versatile amp, BUT, you're gonna have a learning curve on dialling it in if you've never had a Mesa before. But it's worth it. Contrary to Chris' opinion, you CAN get decent tone out of the mkV at low volumes, but you do need to really play around with the pentode/triode and wattage switches, plus the eq. If I was buying a Mesa now, it would be a mkV

1 - 20 of 25 Posts