Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
video:

Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow Video Game, TGS 10: Ogre Showdown Gameplay (***) | Video Clip | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

I've seen this bossfight already in so many games. Big impossibly huge bad guy stands in one place and hits the ground around you with his fists. You attack the fists until he dies.

God of War, every Ninja Gaiden game, Ninja Blade, Prince of Persia, etc., have all had this exact same bossfight so much I'm sick of it. Time for something new action game developers.

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
I agree - these 3rd person beat em ups are just to bland for my tastes. It's fun for about 20 minutes, but then it just gets boring. That video looks like god of war with Prince of Persia art design.

Yeah in games like god of war you can take on a bajillion enemies all at once and slaughter the shit out of them with relative ease, but that's only fun for a VERY short time. It seems like there's not too much strategy involved until you get to boss fights - but even then it's like "Do this, then that, and then wail on the SOB while he's stunned."

I fail to be excited about these games, Slaughterhouse included (And I fucking love that series).

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was a big fan of the Jedi Knight games back 7-8 years ago. The Ninja Gaiden games are the epitome of great action games, though NGII did suffer from camera problems until you got into open spaces.

5-10 years ago give me a guy with a sword and I'm happy. Nowadays, I want more from games. Maybe the Mass Effect series did something to me, but it just raised the bar as to what gaming should be, and any other games just don't seem to come close anymore.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Maybe the Mass Effect series did something to me, but it just raised the bar as to what gaming should be, and any other games just don't seem to come close anymore.
Ugh. The sad reality of playing great games (or reading great books, seeing great films, etc.) I've experienced this a time or three. It's why I always go back to classics like Super Mario World, or Halo 1, or The Legend of Zelda. Certain games are just masterpieces, and other things are to some degree disappointments.

At least until the next masterpiece comes along!

·
Read Only
10 Posts
video:

Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow Video Game, TGS 10: Ogre Showdown Gameplay (***) | Video Clip | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

I've seen this bossfight already in so many games. Big impossibly huge bad guy stands in one place and hits the ground around you with his fists. You attack the fists until he dies.

God of War, every Ninja Gaiden game, Ninja Blade, Prince of Persia, etc., have all had this exact same bossfight so much I'm sick of it. Time for something new action game developers.
There are a few World of Warcraft raid bosses with that mechanic too. :lol:

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Last Great Castlevania in my book = Symphony of the Night.

I tried the N64 games a few months. W T F....

Castlevania doesn't translate (or has not been translated) well into the 3D world.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
You're not pleased with much these days, are you sir?

Hopefully all of this negative energy will give Drew the lead in the album contest. :yoda:

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
I believe there were some descent Castlevania games on the handhelds recently, although I can't remember which.
Yeah, they're all just money milkers from SOTN and not as epic (due to GBA's limits).

It'd be nice if they made some kind of 2D/3D hybrid kinda like they did with space shooting games such as Raystorm and Radiant Silvergun.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
If it has Kojima's name on it and it was released after 2001, 2005 at the latest then rest assured it'll be a piece of dog shit.

The handheld Castlevanias have been good for a number of years, of course none of them compare to Symphony or Rondo.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Really?? Never heard of that. I think it was a great game and I even played through it again a couple months ago. It also won game of the year, graphics, and sound (I believe) in some magazine back then (EGM?)
A lot of people consider it the black sheep of the series, at least of the classic games.

Eh plenty of magazines and review sites give accolades to undeserving things (not that SQ is undeserving)

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
SQ definitely seems like a very early building block of SOTN to me. III was like 1 and 2 sorta put together for me as well. I think the N64 games are more of a black sheep to me. They're totally different games with the word "Castlevania" slapped on it.

·
Registered
577 Posts
3 on the nes & 4 on snes are still my faves. The later ones for playstation & onwards got too much bling & not enough decent gameplay. Then again tons of modern games seem to suffer from all bling & no challenge so i prefer to torrent/download them really. (or buy them cheap second hand/gold editions).

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Rondo is probably my favorite as far as the classic style Castlevanias go. Symphony is still my favorite over all though, but thats probably because I'm also a huge Metroid fan. If you want a Castlevania challenge you should try the X86000 "remake" of Castlevania. They released it here under the Castlevania Chronicles title for the Playstaion.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.