Metal Guitarist Forums banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Nope. My Carvin slays 'em all man. I've never played ANY guitar that I like more than it.

It's not a knock against my Suhrs, my Sherman, or the KxKs I've owned/played. I just like the CS4 the best. :yesway:
I'll second this (sort of) - stylistically, I get on with the Suhr a little better than the Carvin (superstrat with a bitchin' singlecoil in the neck and a Floyd - check), but let's just say I'd REALLY hate to have to choose just one of those two. That Carvin is just ridiculously nice.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Carvin does make some killer stuff. My DC800 is an absolute monster in every way and I wouldn't get rid of it for the world. Everything about it is just right. However, the other DC800 I had (and sold a little while ago) wasn't nearly as good. The DC727 I currently have isn't as good either. It's not bad but you don't go 'wow' when you pick the thing up. I keep it around because the resale value sucks and technically it was custom ordered to my specs. And you never know, I might stumble upon a pickup combo and setup for it one day that will make it that bit better.

It's just like anything else, there's some luck involved.

·
Kilted Hack
480 Posts
It's just like anything else, there's some luck involved.
Yeah, I think wood, being an organic material, is itself a crapshoot. I know it's trendy to pretend wood doesn't matter, but with any maker, it does. Carvin does a good job of drying and preparing it's wood, but there are some guitars that are just going to clunk.

This black and emerald scheme looks sex, tho. :cool:

·
Metal Acolyte
603 Posts
What do you guys think?
I own a Carvin CT6, a CT624, and an ST300. Here's what I think about your build:

• I heartily approve of the signature inlay choice. Most guys here have a gheyboy sperm-on-the-brain view of them, but don't let that dissuade you from making this awesome choice. :cool:
  • I also give thumbs up to the decision to go with stainless steel frets. Once you get used to the slightly "plink"-y sound they make when you fret fresh strings, you'll love their silky smooth feel, effortless bends, and unbeatable durability. :yesway:
  • You will probably be disappointed by the low-quality Wilkinson trem Carvin installs on their guitars. It is the VS50, which is a low-end budget model with inconsistent performance. :rant:
I think the CT is Carvin's best guitar design, and I think you'll be very happy with yours. You may be overcome with a desire to swap the pickups if you are extremely picky about your tone. Carvin pickups are decent but not everyone's cup of tea (though I think in a lot of cases this isn't based on their actual sonic performance, but simply based on the lack of <fill-in-favorite-boutique-pickup-brand-name> stamped on them). :spock:

I definitely think you'll find yourself upgrading the Wilky though. I have a new (gold) Wilky WVPSB bridge that I put (gold) Babicz Full Contact e-*** saddles on and will be installing it on my CT6 soon. Don't be afraid to experiment a little here. :idea:

Reactions: Soopahmahn

·
Curls for the Girls
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Chris needs to send his Carvin back in for sperm daggers. :yesway:

Also, read our Beloved Allen's (AVH) excellent piece on stainless steel frets before going with them.
I did read that when he posted it on here and it way VERY helpful. However ive have played SS frets on petrucci models and i love them. However i realized 2 things after reading it.

- If i need a re-fret, it will cost a lot of money. Well the beauty off SS frets is that you shouldnt need to do one..........for a very long time.

-Also they ruin strings very fast. MY solution.....NONE! I change strings all of the time already because i am constantly recording and change them almost once a week.

Regardless, it ws a very well-written, informative thread.

·
Curls for the Girls
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I definitely think you'll find yourself upgrading the Wilky though. I have a new (gold) Wilky WVPSB bridge that I put (gold) Babicz Full Contact e-*** saddles on and will be installing it on my CT6 soon. Don't be afraid to experiment a little here. :idea:
Thanks for all the info!! Seriously thats the kind of stuff i wanted to hear.

AS far as the trem goes, i love vintage style trems. Mind you though im a metal player. Ive found that PRS and Petrucci trems coupled with locking tuners and a good nut give me zero tuning issues. I didnt want the TOM or Floyd so the wilky was my only other option. Be sure to let me know how your trem swap goes and post up a thread if you can.

And oh yea, Haters gonna Hate. I like the spermy inlay haha:sharpie:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Thanks for all the info!! Seriously thats the kind of stuff i wanted to hear.

AS far as the trem goes, i love vintage style trems. Mind you though im a metal player. Ive found that PRS and Petrucci trems coupled with locking tuners and a good nut give me zero tuning issues. I didnt want the TOM or Floyd so the wilky was my only other option. Be sure to let me know how your trem swap goes and post up a thread if you can.

And oh yea, Haters gonna Hate. I like the spermy inlay haha:sharpie:
Doesn't Carvin offer a Wilkinson VS100 option? That's probably my favorite trem I've ever played, and while the same cautionary note holds (they use a licensed version, but the Gotoh licensed one is like $80 through Warmoth and is much better), it's a spectacular bridge that "feels" like a vintage one but is constructed more like a Floyd.

Also they ruin strings very fast. MY solution.....NONE! I change strings all of the time already because i am constantly recording and change them almost once a week.
Jeez, you're like the opposite of me! :lol:

·
Curls for the Girls
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Doesn't Carvin offer a Wilkinson VS100 option? That's probably my favorite trem I've ever played, and while the same cautionary note holds (they use a licensed version, but the Gotoh licensed one is like $80 through Warmoth and is much better), it's a spectacular bridge that "feels" like a vintage one but is constructed more like a Floyd.

Jeez, you're like the opposite of me! :lol:
There were only three options for me to chose from being floyd, tom, and wilkinson. I can email and ask.

·
Kilted Hack
480 Posts
I have 6 year old Carvins with SS frets that I use daily that look like they were refretted yesterday. My personal experience is that strings last much longer, as they don't react chemically with the ss frets. Much lower corrosion.

Vslane is right about the Wilkis. I personally love em, and have had no real problem with them, but they are the VS50. Some players have worn down the knife edges beyond their liking pretty quickly. However, the swap to a VS100 is supposedly pretty easy.

·
Metal Acolyte
603 Posts
Doesn't Carvin offer a Wilkinson VS100 option?
Not that I'm aware of, but Carvin often has "secret" options they don't widely advertise. Even so, I have installed VS100s on a couple of Strats and still wasn't in love with them. Here are some pics of the WVPSB with Babicz e-*** saddles installed that I'm about to put on my CT6:

·
Metal Acolyte
603 Posts
Well, I don't have a video, but here's a photo of the CT6 with the new bridge installed:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/members/zslane-albums-carvin-ct6-ruby-picture57384-upgraded-wilkinson-wvpsb-bridge-babicz-full-contact-e-***-saddles.jpg

·
Curls for the Girls
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
So my build has finally been started. It took a while because they needed a picture of the exact finish i wanted. The stars must have aligned correctly because im thinking to myself, how am i going to find a picture of the finish i want when ive never seen it before:scratch:

3 days later or so i found this

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. Im crazy excited!

21 - 40 of 64 Posts