Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

When did he join an actual band?!? This is badass! I love Joe's playing, but the whole shred album just isn't my thing, I prefer shred with vocals and this is pretty badass. Chick is pretty nice too. :yesway: (And Rob Halford stole one of the guitars KK Downing used in the 80s :lol:)

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
The real badass in that band is the bassist, Jay Rigney, even if he doesn't do much here. Joe is a really skilled player, though I don't usually like his stuff much.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
The real badass in that band is the bassist, Jay Rigney, even if he doesn't do much here. Joe is a really skilled player, though I don't usually like his stuff much.
Bit of an Yngwie clone :agreed:

Still that stuff Chris posted wasnt too bad actually I may have to pick that up.

Its fun to play along and shred with.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Pretty good stuff...

I'm not generally a massive fan of Stump, as everything I've heard from him has been pretty impressive technically but not terribly original. The boy can certainly play though...

To be honest, the singer was the most impressive thing about that performance.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pretty good stuff...

I'm not generally a massive fan of Stump, as everything I've heard from him has been pretty impressive technically but not terribly original. The boy can certainly play though...

To be honest, the singer was the most impressive thing about that performance.
I agree, she's got her moments, but again times she doesn't. I think if they stick together they will find their groove. This isn't the best thing i've ever heard, but they've got a lot of potential. I also agree about Joe, killer player, but not all of his stuff is too original. No where near as bad as MAB though. I feel sorry for him. He's such a killer player, but he just can't write a song to save his life.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Wait... a neo-classical guitar player in a band that sings about dragons and magic and shit? :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Wait... a neo-classical guitar player in a band that sings about dragons and magic and shit? :eek:
:rofl:

This guy I knew was a student of his @ Berklee. Not sure if he's teaching there any more? But he turned me onto all of his instructional vids and his instrumental material. I really liked his "Speed Metal Messiah" CD and also his last one "Virtuostic Vendetta". But then, I prefer instrumental shred without any vocals. So for me, he's like Yng mixed with Blackmore, without the annoying vocals.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
:rofl:

This guy I knew was a student of his @ Berklee. Not sure if he's teaching there any more? But he turned me onto all of his instructional vids and his instrumental material. I really liked his "Speed Metal Messiah" CD and also his last one "Virtuostic Vendetta". But then, I prefer instrumental shred without any vocals. So for me, he's like Yng mixed with Blackmore, without the annoying vocals.
I was a student of his at Berklee as well, and yes, he still teaches there. His "Reign of Terror" stuff is ok, but Mike Vescera's vocals are really nasal and annoying, and Joe's tone sounds really messy on a lot of it.

(And no, I can't/don't play anything like what he or Yngwie or Blackmore do)

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
During that first video, I half expected it to turn into a cover of "Heaven and Hell." :lol:

They're very good, but it's a little too derivative of Yngwie for me.

That's a hell of a rig the keyboardist has. You don't see many guys touring with a Korg Oasys. That's a $6,000 studio-oriented synth.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
The big shock here is that Stump's band is actually playing a venue that big. I thought his career completely revolved around opening for Vai/Satch in Boston area clubs. :lol: I swear I've seen him live almost a dozen times.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The big shock here is that Stump's band is actually playing a venue that big. I thought his career completely revolved around opening for Vai/Satch in Boston area clubs. :lol: I swear I've seen him live almost a dozen times.
When he's not in Boston, he plays at Jaxx to both of his DC-area fans.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Oh, and it has to be said...

Holy Hell is a terrible band name. :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I've only seen Joe Stump once, and I spent most of the show at the back bar. He's incredibly boring.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
I've only seen Joe Stump once, and I spent most of the show at the back bar. He's incredibly boring.
yeah it is bit derivative. Like I said I really have only heard about him in passing (people calling him a Blackmore/malmsteen clone) so I never bothered checking him out til Chris posted these vids. (so its all new to me)

Wait til my strat comes in and you can see just how much of a blackmore.malmsteen wannabe clone i can be :lol:

·
Devil
1,871 Posts
Never liked Stump much. Always sounded like a sloppier Yngwie with completely unmemorable tunes. This I'm not too impressed with either. Even the keys are piss poor. You got a fucking Oasys ($8000 bones of a keyboard with all kinds of crazy shit in it) and that's the best they come up with? The chick's voice is decent but boring and unemotional. She hits the notes and I'd tag it once or twice before threatening to kick her to the curb unless she made me a sandwich, but her voice and melodies are pretty generic.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts