Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went into a a local Scam Cash just for some strings but saw they had quite a few guitars I had wanted to try out. Started with the Fenders and worked my way around the room. Played a few Classic Series Strat's that were actually pretty damn nice for an $800 price tag, then grabbed an Yngwie model which I hadn't tried out in about 15 years. No fucking way could I play one of those....you need Daddy Long Leg-like touch for those things!

Played an Epi Thunderhorse that was actually REALLY fucking loud unplugged and had a really comfy neck....one day I will own an Explorer.

The Ibanez wall. Ugh. I was stoked to play the new Floral JEM and the white UV, took the JEM down first and immediately felt that familiar JEM neck. Found a stool and took a seat, it was set up decently and not out of tune too much, no whammy bar to get an idea of that bridge though. Everything felt pretty good until I got up higher on the neck. People argue that the last 4 scalloped frets on the JEMs are unnecessary due to the AANJ, but I disagree. Maybe my fingers are just too big, but I was having a bitch of a time getting those higher notes to sound out.

The UV....I could hear the springs making so much noise when I took it off the wall I didn't even want to plug it in. This thing sounded like it had a 50ft reverb tank built into it. It felt REALLY light, lighter than any guitar I had played at that point. Before I even played it I moved the pick-up selector into the bridge position and was put off right away because of how cheap the switch felt. Pick-up heights were all fucked. Frets on both the JEM and the UV were pretty nice but felt thinner than my JEM's? (Not sure if that's just in my head) Something about it felt like a toy though. Maybe because it was so light.

Played a few RG's and Iron Label's. The RG7421PB I picked up didn't have the smooth frets like the Premium stuff I played, in fact, the neck felt really odd to me so I looked straight down it and there was a small wave along the treble side where either the had a slight twist or the frets just weren't done right. The Prestige stuff I played felt right on par with early 90's/mid 90's Ibanez stuff. There was an RG652 that felt really familiar.

Not impressed with Ibanez' quality on most everything I played. If it wasn't one thing, it was another with pretty much every guitar I played. My JEM was $1650 brand new with a UV100 case in 1997, the fact that the FP and UV are in the same price range is sad. Definitely not the same quality in parts, finish or build.

I think the most alarming thing was that even the guitars that were put together well, the Prestige stuff, none of them really sounded that great unplugged or popped out. The $800 Classic Vibe Strat and the Thunderhorse were sonically much more appealing unplugged.

What I WAS stoked with was the EVH Striped Series! I played 3 of them and they all felt fucking great! I didn't fuck with the whammy much, but I LOVE those necks, they all had a nice loud sound with nothing clanging in the back and most importantly, they were really fun to play. I think I'd have to get the red striped one if I were to get one because I grinned every time I looked down at it.

Got some M-Steel strings for the first time, they seem pretty cool up front, but not sure any set of strings is worth $15.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
I had the same impression with the EVH stripe guitars, I just get on with them well. At the Scam Cash in the Dolphin Mall they said I played too loud with the 5153 on like .01 on the volume...so I never went back. Pussies.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
The selection of Ibanez they have at the GC in Hallandale Beach is much more consistent quality than what you got at the Peppertree Plaza Sam Ash... All of their Ibanezes have parched fingerboards. it looks like they left them in a kiln or something.

That said, I really liked the UV70P they had a month or 3 ago.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
The white UV is an Indonesian guitar, for what it's worth. I'm probably getting snobbier in my old age, but especially now that I'm reasonably comfortable with a soldering iron, I'd imagine if I owned one at some point I'd want to gut it and rewire it with better electronics.

I wouldn't worry about the springs - I either keep a folded up paper towel behind mine, or a bit of heat-shrink tubing at the midpoint, shrunk until tight, to deal with the ringing. That's necessary on ALL off-the-rack guitars.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
The white UV is an Indonesian guitar, for what it's worth. I'm probably getting snobbier in my old age, but especially now that I'm reasonably comfortable with a soldering iron, I'd imagine if I owned one at some point I'd want to gut it and rewire it with better electronics.
The above mentioned uv70P they had at that Sam Ash actually played, sounded and felt better than a couple of the MIJ UVs I've owned in the past, I was surprised.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The above mentioned uv70P they had at that Sam Ash actually played, sounded and felt better than a couple of the MIJ UVs I've owned in the past, I was surprised.
I actually remember you saying they had one up there and figured it was it when I saw it. I can't say anything bad about the way it played, it was just the way it felt overall. I've never felt a UV that light before, or any Ibanez 7-string.

The springs I know I can be silenced, I'm pretty there's jizz rags from a 16 year old Rev Drucifer in the back of my JEM. :rofl:
I was just surprised at how much noise was coming out of it. I should have plugged it in for a few to see how it sounded. I think based off those 2-3 minutes of playing it, if I were in the market for one, I'd still go out and search for another.....and then get that trem out of there.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
The last time I went in there they had the white Indonesian uv. I can't remember if they still had the black and green one, which was the one I was thinking of. The white one was OK, but the black one made me have some thoughts of financial infidelity.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The last time I went in there they had the white Indonesian uv. I can't remember if they still had the black and green one, which was the one I was thinking of. The white one was OK, but the black one made me have some thoughts of financial infidelity.
Ah, that's it, then. They only had the white one, I've yet to play a green dot reissue. Really, the only reason I still go there is because 10 years ago they put a brand new TC Electronics G-Force in a rack and put a $500 price tag on it, I'm assuming they thought it was a G-Major, I dunno, but I walked the fuck out of there with a new G-Force for $500 and I'm just hoping someone is dumb enough to make a mistake like that again.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Same thing happened to a friend over at the Coconut Creek GC.. They had one of These accidentally marked at 349$ (They're 999$ street). New. He went in snagged it. Manager (who he is friends with) told him they mistagged it like a month after the fact.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts