Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(insert "long tip" joke here)

My Swirl has a pickguard on it, and both of the usual Allparts switches that I have are just a hair too short to go to positions 1 or 5 without the switch tip getting knocked off.

Where can I get a longer one? Or am I going to have to rig something up? :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Sadly, you might be SOL. Most pickguards on clear-pickguarded Jems have a gap around the entire switch because of that problem, rather than just a slot.

Reactions: 1

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind)

Yep.

I may have a dead one around I could send you. Your best bet I think is to cut some lever off another, and solder it on

Reactions: 1

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sadly, you might be SOL. Most pickguards on clear-pickguarded Jems have a gap around the entire switch because of that problem, rather than just a slot.
Aaah, that makes sense - I always did wonder what the hell was up with that.

I will get around this though. Solder won't be rugged enough to last, but I can have the shop at work tack weld a little extension on one of 'em. The switch tip should hide the weld, and if it looks ungainly (it shouldn't) I can always dab a little paint on there.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind)

Yep.

I may have a dead one around I could send you. Your best bet I think is to cut some lever off another, and solder it on
I have a few kickin' around - thanks though. :wub:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Instead of having them weld on the thin part at the tip, you could always cut that off, and half them weld a long piece including the base, so its hidden inside the guitar.

Paint is probably 309248239084903284903 times more reasonable though :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Instead of having them weld on the thin part at the tip, you could always cut that off, and half them weld a long piece including the base, so its hidden inside the guitar.

Paint is probably 309248239084903284903 times more reasonable though :lol:
That's a much better idea actually - just hacking off the whole tip and having them put a long one on with the weld inside the body. :yesway:

I'll paint it anyway. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wouldn't it also work to do a little sanding/routing inside the cavity so the switch rides a little closer to the surface of the body?
It would if it was just a little off, but I need basically the width of the pickguard. I think there's enough meat on the body for it, but if there isn't, I'd end up dremeling through the finish.

I'd rather take the time to do it right, ya know? My bridge/tuners still aren't here anyway.

·
18,790 Posts
It would if it was just a little off, but I need basically the width of the pickguard. I think there's enough meat on the body for it, but if there isn't, I'd end up dremeling through the finish.

I'd rather take the time to do it right, ya know? My bridge/tuners still aren't here anyway.
Very good point, and after posting that, I went back and looked at the pics, remembered it's swirled inside the cavity too, and you're using a clear cover there too, so yeah, do it right :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very good point, and after posting that, I went back and looked at the pics, remembered it's swirled inside the cavity too, and you're using a clear cover there too, so yeah, do it right :yesway:
I may come to regret the clear covers. :lol: For one, I forgot all about shielding the cavity (oops) and furthermore, I am not Toshiro, so exposing the wiring may not be the best idea.

All in good fun though, and like I said - I'm not building a case queen, I'm building something I'm going to beat on and play the shit out of, so if there are a few bits here and there that aren't perfect I certainly don't give a shit. :D

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Just pay toshiro to wire it, and hope you dont have signal noise issues :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts