Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What sort of amp would you guys think be a decent lower priced half stack? I'm thinking maybe the B-52 halfstack.

I may have to get a 6 string though Friend of mine wants me to try out for his newer band tomorrow and they used 4 string basses and 6 string guitars in Drop d. I Know I could just use the A7 in ADADGBE if I wanted to and might untill I can get the money for a new 6.

I know the 6 string part doesnt really matter :lol: I'm sorta wondering about more for the lower end of a 7 and 8 string though.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tune your 8 an octave down from DADGBE :)

:ugh:
:lol: but then I'd be dipping into the bassists realm lol
I will have to either tune the normal 6 to drop d on it or the A7 untill I get something a bit easier to play in Drop D :lol:

Anyone ever used the B52 amps for 7 strings and 8 strings though? I remember hearing somewhere that they are the "Poor mans Triple Rec" or Dual.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I really didn't care for the B-52 at all.

Other than that, I really don't have any other recommendations besides just saving up a little more for the amp that suits you.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there are only a hand full I think that I would be able to afford by June :lol: and the two I can think of are the B-52 and the Raven half stacks.. but the ravens are not great either.

Oh and the Ibanez Toneblaster.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Um.. either new or used probably. And I have like a two months time peirod before I'd need a bigger amp I think. but I'd like to try and have it as soon as possible :lol:

I'm thinking Bass line price about 5-600 but I know I won't get anything that great with that price. and I am willing to go higher if I can afford it :lol:

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may need to have a half stack though. but I just remembered about Peaveys amps also :lol: What do you guys think of the ValveKing?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I may need to have a half stack though. but I just remembered about Peaveys amps also :lol: What do you guys think of the ValveKing?
Why does it matter how big your amp is? I had a fullstack before my current setup, and Drew's Nomad combo ABSOLUTELY FUCKING RAPED IT on the volume scale. 60W of tube is a LOT of volume man. You can either get a decent combo like the 6505, or a shitty head/cab combo comprised of two pieces of crap, like the Ibanez halfstack.

So ask yourself, do you want your amp to sound good, or do you want to say "check me out, I have 4 speakers!", even though those 4 speakers sound like ass?

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why does it matter how big your amp is? I had a fullstack before my current setup, and Drew's Nomad combo ABSOLUTELY FUCKING RAPED IT on the volume scale. 60W of tube is a LOT of volume man. You can either get a decent combo like the 6505, or a shitty head/cab combo comprised of two pieces of crap, like the Ibanez halfstack.

So ask yourself, do you want your amp to sound good, or do you want to say "check me out, I have 4 speakers!", even though those 4 speakers sound like ass?
:rofl: Well I do have to admit one of my other friends had a Fender 100 2x12 combo that was loud as fuck. was Somewhat decent too... But the 6505 is still an option :lol: might be better to to lug back and forth to practice if I get in this band :lol:

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

What kind of music?

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

What kind of music?
It might be shitty sounds due to the camera though but basicly this. this is the band also to let you guys know :lol:

YouTube - PracticeandRefine's Channel

Not Metal like most of you guys know, but not pussy ass rock either.. lol

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
:rofl: Well I do have to admit one of my other friends had a Fender 100 2x12 combo that was loud as fuck. was Somewhat decent too... But the 6505 is still an option :lol: might be better to to lug back and forth to practice if I get in this band :lol:
My Fender 2 x 12 Power Chorus I used to use back in high school was really loud, but to me it sounded like shit. It sounded awesome when recorded live for some reason, though.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
The 6505 is better sounding, and better sounding at volume than just about any halfstack you're going to get at that price.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do want to get something decent sounding for the band and even if I do not make it I could still benefit from having one :lol:

What other options would be good though? I like to find ALL Possible options before I go with something Most of the time..:ugh:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Nomad Combos can be had on the cheap if you poke around Craigslist, though I personally don't think they sound very good.

Or, get a Supreme 160 / older Ampeg 4x12 if you must have a halfstack. It'd fit in with that band's sound.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts

Bugera makes some cheaper stuff.

·
Read Only
10 Posts

Bugera makes some cheaper stuff.
Cheap 5150 knockoffs and shit, yes?

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:lol: was thinking of a Bugera too. Have they released that TriRec yet? Craigslist is hard to find anything here though.:noplease: Plus IF I was to find something no one would ship it seems. if its too far to pickup

1 - 20 of 58 Posts