Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to order some new tubes for my roadking, thing has been off its game for awhile. But someone just recently posted this video on grail tone and it is making me miss my recto.

·
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, I always say the RKI is like a mix between a tremoverb and a dual and to me the best sounding. My RKI is your old one Matt that Dave had for awhile.

The RK is so close to the recto, that I've never missed my old recto that much. :shrug:
I think I have some EH's in it right now, I am going to put tung sol's in it all around next.

What EL34s do you usually put in it Todd?

·
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really liked how the Tung Sol's made Dave and I's two channel recto sound and he has been non stop talking about how much better they made his stiletto sound. So I think I am going to give them a try.

Mesa still has NOS EL34s in their web shop.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Yeah, his review of them makes me want to try them in the Überschall. It has EH 6CA7EHs in there now, and they sound great too.

·
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah he talks them up pretty good, you would think they are paying him :idea:... Maybe we should check his banking statement.

Yeah, his review of them makes me want to try them in the Überschall. It has EH 6CA7EHs in there now, and they sound great too.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I wish they were paying me. :lol:

Tung Sol seems to be the company that has been doing everything right these days. They make my go to 12AX7, and have for some time. My buddy Jeff tossed some 5881s in his 2ch Dual, and I though they sounded great. I tried the EL-34Bs in my Stiletto and loved them. Their 6L6GC sounds great in our Racktifier. Seriously, I can't stop saying enough good things about their tubes.

·
Oh yeah!
1,913 Posts
Would you recommend their 6L6 over the Mesa 6L6? Great to hear that everything they put out is awesome. Been looking for some EL84s for the Mini Rec and I'm gonna go with them.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
I love the Recto/5150 combo tone. That is what the producer that reamped the James Labrie albums went with. It is just a great combo of midrange growl and clarity.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Would you recommend their 6L6 over the Mesa 6L6? Great to hear that everything they put out is awesome. Been looking for some EL84s for the Mini Rec and I'm gonna go with them.
Yep. The Mesa-branded Rubys cut really well, but there just seems to be this harshness up top that you can never real die out. The Tung Sols are a much warmer tube, which is especially important in bright Mesa, like Rectos and Stilettos. However, they're fine in a Mark V, since Marks have always been darker, midrangey amps.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Do I want to know what a quad of tung sol 6550's will cost :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Why do you want 6550s? They're cold and stiff in a guitar amp. They work way better in bass heads.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

It's what my bandmate runs in his jcm800 (runs it clean). And i looked it up, $150usd. I retubed my entire JSX for $121 in 2008 :lol:

·
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just switched my JCM800 over to EL34's, simple resistor and I was done, amp sounds so much better and cheaper to buy tubes for now.

Wirelessly posted

It's what my bandmate runs in his jcm800 (runs it clean). And i looked it up, $150usd. I retubed my entire JSX for $121 in 2008 :lol:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
I'm with noodles, wherever I can use Tung Sol I will do. I wish they made KT77's! I'm still running stock tubes in my Diezel (JJ KT77's, Ruby 12AX7's), but when I swap out, I'll be going Tung Sol.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Someone confirm for me, but isn't the 5881 compatible with the KT-77 in the same way the 6550 is compatible with the KR-88?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts