Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got this Orange PPC212 cab (and an old marshall 2x12 that came with the JCM800 I bought a while ago) and I am planning to buy a Fryette 2/90/2 to go along with the pod xt pro I scored dirt cheap from egay.

Now, the pod will be used for cleans only, but I need something for the Br00tz, so I thought I'd get a preamp somewhere down the line which will imo give me the best of both worlds.

I've narrowed it down to three pre's:

Engl E530

Engl E570

Mesa Boogie Recto Recording PreAmp

what would be the pros/cons of these?
Midi is a plus, but not critical

I'm a big fan of the invader 100, does any of the engl's do that type of sound?
Will it Djent?

Will the Recto give me a blowjob and set my ass hairs on fire?

Proceed

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
From what I've heard from the ENGLs in the past, they can definitely get some killer sounds out of them, especially if you're looking at the Fryette 2/90/2.

I was looking at a very similar setup a while back.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I would go for the e530. It could djent, especially if you boost it someway. Otherwise if I were spending 1300-1500 on a pre... Mesa or otherwise, I would just pick up an Axe-Fx standard used :2cents:

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

He was kidding about the djerkoff thing.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
ha okay, yeah but still my opinion stays the same. the e530 is great otherwise personally if I'm dropping over 1000 on a pre amp, go axe fx! unless you NEED tubes for your pre too.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Do not go for the Recto recording pre. Everything that I have heard about it is negative.

The Engl stuff may be a good choice. What type of tone are you looking for really?

:mp1:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Also, if you are going for rack gear, then MIDI is critical. You will kick yourself later down the road if you do not get a preamp with MIDI.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Like Zepp I havnt heard too many nice things about the recto pre. Havnt heard it myself though, just posts on the forum/s.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Tesseract'ish without the djent? is that possible?
So, you need a rather dry tone with plenty of gain, and a bit of compression for the strong attack?

Engl sir. Maybe a Fryette pre if those exist?

btw dude, djent is something YOU make the guitar do, not the tone itself. :lol:

EDIT: Apparently Fryette does not make standalone preamps :(

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
btw dude, djent is something YOU make the guitar do, not the tone itself.
Or a chug with dimed mids and virtually no bass...
The definitions are numerous :)

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
The thing about the Recto is that the "recto sound" depends on the unique interaction between the preamp and poweramp. The amp really shines when you crank the poweramp, probably more so than other amps. When the preamp is ripped off of that poweramp, it's like cutting its balls off.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts