Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've picked up that Schecter V-7 SLS guitar and the blackouts just sound awful. I like the Invader in my Ninja but I'm not sure if I want it in this one. The Nazgul piqued my interest as well since it comes in the soapbar size.

Anyway give me suggestions. I'm open to about anything passive since honestly I liked the stock Ibanez ones in my old RG927 more :lol:

http://schecterguitars.com/Products/Guitar/Blackjack-SLS-V-7-CRB.aspx

·
Pinnacle to the Pit
485 Posts
That sucks. I've got blackouts in two guitars of mine. Schecter Blackjack and Agile Pendulum (both 6 strings). I'm fairly content with them.

As far as a bridge pickup goes:

Could check out the EMG 707 if you want to stay active.
(Blackouts vs 707 comparison)

Also, check out the Dimarzio X2N7. It's passive, though.
(Evo vs X2N7 comparison --only video I could find)

Also, have you tried the 18v mod for the Blackouts? I haven't, but some people claim it makes a difference while others say it's unnecessary. Might wanna look into that. Much cheaper than buying a new set up pickups.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I'm pretty sure the blackouts already run at 18V, although I'm not too sure. I heard it actually makes them sound worse.

Also, how about the EMG 81-7 or the upcoming 85-7 if it comes out? Or the Blackouts EMTY 7s?

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On an interesting side note I noticed that they sell the popular 59/custom hybrid now (SH-16).

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I re-did my EQ on my amp and if I boost the mids it sounds a bit better but still not my favourite. I guess I'll look for some more mid heavy pickups.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well after listening to this clip here:

I look for the super crunchy sound... 2:02 specifically. Sold me on the nazgul at least from that set, the 59/custom was intersting but it's a bit lower output than I'd like same with C5. Distortion/FS kind of equally nasty. pegasus is too clean and I already have the blackouts. The blackouts metal is the nastiest at that but it's not available as a 7 and also I kinda am off actives right now lol.

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
I got a nazgul in a guitar but I didn't really try it out I'm going to spend some time with it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
I've picked up that Schecter V-7 SLS guitar and the blackouts just sound awful. I like the Invader in my Ninja but I'm not sure if I want it in this one. The Nazgul piqued my interest as well since it comes in the soapbar size.

Anyway give me suggestions. I'm open to about anything passive since honestly I liked the stock Ibanez ones in my old RG927 more :lol:

Blackjack SLS V-7 CRB - Schecter Guitar Research
i just put a set of BKP Ceramic Warpigs in my Jackson king v (alder body). Not sure how well they sound in mahogany, but in my guitar they sound similar to invaders, only with a grindier midrange and better note definition/clarity. Chords and chugs sound sick! my only gripe with them is that single note lead stuff on the neck pickup gets boomy, huge low end...too much i think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts