Metal Guitarist Forums banner

I want to be folksy, but I don't know how to mic a mouth harp.

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Boots-Paul 
#1 ·
What part of the fucking thing do you mic? Shure SM7B. I love how novelty this shit sounds in the really fruity folk metal I hear it in, and I decided I needed to write a blackened glam metal song about the glory of ancient albion that had some catchy fucking gang chants with some rustic "I don't really know how to play this" mouth harping (I wasn't the one who played it).

I'm feeding the signal into a guitar VST to make it vaguely talkbox esque, because who the fuck doesn't love talkboxes?

Ignore the fact this is very much unmixed and more of a rough demo.

https://soundcloud.com/garrett-bockman/sounds-of-unadulterated

#2 ·
That sounds cool and I love the mouth harp it was the first instrument my grand father gave me he called it a juice harp. Oh and I think you captured the sound really good.

#6 ·
Wow, I have no fucking clue what I just listened, to, but I feel vaguely violated, which is probably a good thing. :lol:

I don't even know what a mouth harp is, but I'm guessing small - the rule of thumb here is if you can figure out what part of it is vibrating, a mic placed that far away or closer will be in the "near field" of the instrument and will be very position specific, where moving it around will change how the unstrument sounds radically. Outside of the near field that won't be the case to the same extent (though directionality of the sound source will still play a role).

The two things I'd probably try are one, exactly what you just did, and tqwo, placing a mic at about ear level, next to the player's head, and pointing down at it, which should do a better job of capturing how it sounds to the player while he or she plays.

Still, this is evil in a very post industrial but still thrash sort of way. I like it.

#9 ·
Wow, I have no fucking clue what I just listened, to, but I feel vaguely violated, which is probably a good thing. :lol:

I don't even know what a mouth harp is, but I'm guessing small - the rule of thumb here is if you can figure out what part of it is vibrating, a mic placed that far away or closer will be in the "near field" of the instrument and will be very position specific, where moving it around will change how the unstrument sounds radically. Outside of the near field that won't be the case to the same extent (though directionality of the sound source will still play a role).

The two things I'd probably try are one, exactly what you just did, and tqwo, placing a mic at about ear level, next to the player's head, and pointing down at it, which should do a better job of capturing how it sounds to the player while he or she plays.

Still, this is evil in a very post industrial but still thrash sort of way. I like it.
Is this you speaking or the meds? :lol:

Post Industrial Blackened Folk Thrash is actually EXACTLY what I go for.

"*******" is a few dozen links down the evolutionary chain from "folksy".

Just sayin'.
Yeah, sometimes things can be really close but different in a couple of small ways that makes one vastly superior to the other, like America and Canada.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.