Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And all I can say is... What the fuck? Anyone else see this? It starts out pretty promising - cool special effects, Russell Crowe out of nowhere, great cinematography... And then, well, I'll spoil something small for you.

Russell Crowe's character is Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde. Literally the fictional character. The same one that was cool in The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen. That one. Which might lead one to ask the question: "What the fuck is that character doing in the Mummy?"

What the fuck indeed. :lol:

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
I didn't see it but to answer your question about that spoiler: Universal decided to try and spin their monster movie properties into an Avengers/Justice League style franchise.

Yuuuup.

·
410 Posts
Russell Crowe's character is Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde. Literally the fictional character. The same one that was cool in The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen. That one. Which might lead one to ask the question: "What the fuck is that character doing in the Mummy?"
I was at that point that I turned the movie off. I felt I didn't need to see where the movie was going after that.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Yeah it started promising and then I was wondering to who would I ask my 2 hours of wasted life back...

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Brandon Frasier movies were so much fun, I figured he was shaping up to be the next Indiana Jones.

Plus they had Batiatus:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
The same one that was cool in The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
People disparaged the shit out of it, but someday that movie will be revered as a classic.

The subtle writing, a character with a mystery named "Mr. E", the vaguely offensive generic ethnic acting of the guy who plays Nemo, Sean Connery impaling someone on a Rhino Horn, a tense love triangle, an African tribal rain dance ending that sets up a sequel perfectly...

That film had everything.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
I didn't see it but to answer your question about that spoiler: Universal decided to try and spin their monster movie properties into an Avengers/Justice League style franchise.

Yuuuup.
I knew about this, and had a sense of foreboding when Universal revealed their shared Monster Universe in the damn press and promotions even before The Mummy reboot premiered. The entire cast revealed their roles in one hit, and from what I hear about this new movie, Russell Crowe spews a long exposition dump of world building shifting the focus of the movie from, oh I don't know, the TITLE CHARACTER. It's the same flaws that what made Batman V Superman and Amazing Spider-Man 2 so unbearably bad, the latter allegedly had the same screenwriters as The Mummy, so the same sins committed.

Seriously, all the Hollywood studios who want to kickstart a shared universe, need to go back and rewatch the first Iron Man movie. It's a film first and foremost. No exposition, no world building, but gave only a brief foreshadowing in the post credits of what's to come. Basically none of the flaws that made Iron Man 2 not very good.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
The Brandon Frasier movies were so much fun, I figured he was shaping up to be the next Indiana Jones.

Plus they had Batiatus:

The third one sucked, but the first two were everything a monster movie is supposed to be. Fraser was awesome.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Agreed on most of what's been said so far. I haven't seen this The Mummy adaptation (probably won't) but the Fraser ones were very well crafted, with enough mix of being intense action and scary but still family friendly, sprawling landscapes that seemed like a nod to epics of the Universal golden era, and it had a strong 'film serial' vibe (alluded to with the Indian Jones comparison). There were definitely opportunities to build it into a shared/crossover universe or at least build off of it with other similarly styled Universal franchises and mash them up later.

Agreed also on the mention of Iron Man being the perfect way to build a shared universe. I'm WAY behind, in that Iron Man 1 is the only movie from the new Marvel Universe that I've watched but it absolutely worked well as a free standing movie, with room (which they ultimately utilized) to expand into others. LXG is a very good example of how it's done poorly, when you try to shoehorn too much world building into one movie.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I remember seeing previews for this, and the previews alone were enough for me to say "what the fuck," and not bother to watch it.

It looked like someone took a campy, relatively light-hearted monster movie, and tried to remake it as a horror movie/Mission Impossible mash-up. Sound about right?

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Remember when you could have Dracula (or the Harlem Globe Trotters) just show up on Scooby Doo or whatever without needing to pump out a bunch of painfully boring billion dollar movies that exist solely to explain how that happened?

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I remember seeing previews for this, and the previews alone were enough for me to say "what the fuck," and not bother to watch it.

It looked like someone took a campy, relatively light-hearted monster movie, and tried to remake it as a horror movie/Mission Impossible mash-up. Sound about right?
+1

There is no way I'm ever going to watch that movie. The original was lightning in a bottle, and the second one was a fun watch. You just don't fuck with that.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Remember when you could have Dracula (or the Harlem Globe Trotters) just show up on Scooby Doo or whatever without needing to pump out a bunch of painfully boring billion dollar movies that exist solely to explain how that happened?
This is so fucking spot on. :lol: :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts